Jumptonavigation Jumptosearch Forotheruses,seeLaSalleUniversity(disambiguation).DeLaSalleUniversityPamantasangDeLaSalleUnibersidadngDeLaSalleDeLaSa..">
Pamantasang De La Salle
Unibersidad ng De La Salle
|De La Salle College|
|Motto||Religio, Mores, Cultura (Latin)|
Motto in English
|Religion, Morals, Culture|
Co-educational Higher education institution
|Established||June 16, 1911|
|Roman Catholic |
|Endowment||₱286 million (US$6.52 million)|
|Chairman||Edgar O. Chua|
|Chancellor||Br. Bernard S. Oca FSC|
|President||Br. Raymundo B. Suplido FSC|
5.45 ha (13.5 acres)
|Mascots||Gordo, Flaco and Sally|
De La Salle University (Filipino: Pamantasang De La Salle, Unibersidad ng De La Salle), also known as La Salle and abbreviated DLSU, is a private, Catholic research university run by De La Salle Brothers located in Taft Avenue, Malate, Manila, Philippines. It was established in 1911 as the De La Salle College in Nozaleda Street, Paco, Manila with Br. Blimond Pierre FSC serving as first director. The educational institution moved to its present location on September 21 to facilitate the increase in enrollment. The college was granted university status in February 1975 and is the oldest constituent of De La Salle Philippines (DLSP), a network of 17 Lasallian institutions established in 2006 to replace the De La Salle University System.
The university started as a boys' elementary and high school. In 1920 it began offering a two-year Associate in Arts Commerce program, which was later discontinued in 1931 in favour of a Bachelor of Science in Commerce programme. DLSU currently offers coeducational undergraduate and graduate degree programmes through its seven colleges and one school specializing in various disciplines, including business, engineering and liberal arts.
The university is identified by the Philippine Commission on Higher Education (CHED) as a "Center of Excellence" in six of its programmes, and a "Center of Development" in 3 of its programmes. The university is also among the 40 institutions granted autonomous status by CHED as of 2010. Likewise, it is the first of the only two institutions granted the highest-level accreditation (Level IV) by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU). The university ranks 151-160th and 601-650th in the 2013 Asian University Rankings and 2013 World University Rankings, respectively, published by Quacquarelli Symonds.
The university is a member of several international university associations including the ASEAN University Network (AUN) and International Association of Universities (IAU) as well as local organizations such as the South Manila Inter-Institutional Consortium.
The Philippines was one of the last Asian countries that the De La Salle Brothers established themselves in because the country was dominated by several Spanish religious orders. Several years before the De La Salle Brothers were invited to the Philippines, the local American government ordered Ateneo to modernize and use English as a mode of instruction but the Spanish Jesuits refused and argued that their allegiance was with Spain and not America. The Americans decided that it would be better for the De La Salle Brothers to take over the task, the Christian Brothers then having established several reputable De La Salle schools worldwide that provided quality Christian-values-based education in more than 80 countries. The Americans have always known that De La Salle Brothers were up to the given task due to the Brother's main religious vocation was education. The De La Salle Brothers had 3 centuries of teaching experience making them highly knowledgeable, capable and qualified in providing modern educational methods to the young Filipinos in Manila. Initially, the De La Salle Brothers were very hesitant in establishing a De La Salle school in the country because the Americans insisted that the first De La Salle school should only educate the rich children of the Filipino ruling class. The Americans wanted the Christian Brothers to Americanize future Filipino leaders through Lasallian education. The American request put the De La Salle Brothers in a dilemma because it ran contrary to the original teachings and charism of Saint Jean Baptiste de La Salle - Patron Saint of Teachers whose religious vocation was to provide tuition free, quality Christian-values-based education that empowered the less privileged and very poor children around the world.
De La Salle University traces its founding roots to Manila archbishop Jeremiah James Harty. Harty, a graduate of a Lasallian school in the U.S. believed that the establishment of a De La Salle school in Manila would be instrumental and vital in preempting the spread of Protestantism in the Philippines through the arrival of the Thomasites and American Protestant church missions. His request would be later endorsed in 1907 by Pope Pius X. An envoy of De La Salle Brothers arrived in 1910. Together with Harty, the Brothers searched for a suitable campus. A 13,000 m2 (140,000 sq ft) property in Paco, Manila was purchased for this purpose.
De La Salle College was originally established as an elementary school then later on as a high school exclusively for boys on June 16, 1911 by the De La Salle brothers. Br. Blimond Pierre Eilenbecker FSC, Br. Aloysius Gonzaga McGiverin FSC, and Br. Augusto Correge FSC, who arrived in Manila in March 1911. Classes started on the same day with 125 students, with 175 by July 10.
On February 12, 1912, the college was incorporated under the sole ownership of the college director, who was then Eilenbecker. The college was permitted to confer high school diplomas in the same year. Meanwhile, it received a charter from the Governor-General of the Philippines, allowing the college to confer associate degrees in commerce. It started offering the degree as a two-year program in 1920.
The college already had 425 students by 1921. Due to the lack of space in the Paco campus, and the growing population of its student and faculty, the college moved to its present location in Malate, Manila on February 12.
A few hours before the Imperial Japanese Army could enter and ravage the "Open City" of Manila a contingent of young La Salle boys led by a De La Salle Brother marched on from Taft Avenue all the way towards the pre-war Ateneo de Manila, Padre Faura campus (presently occupied by a popular mall chain branch owned by a notable Lasallian alumnus). During the initial outbreak of the invasion of Manila by Japanese Marines several La Salle boys dutifully helped secure and save Ateneo's prized "Jesuit Bell" along with several valuable Jesuit religious antiques just before the Japanese shock troops could enter Manila and ransack the Jesuits' pre-war campus.
Initially, the De La Salle campus served as a secret shelter for several displaced civilians, wounded soldiers and Filipino guerilla fighters at the beginning of the Japanese occupation. However, later on it was occupied by the Japanese forces, and was made into a military defense quarters on January 2, 1942. Several repeated bombings severely damaged the DLSC campus. Despite this, classes continued as the Christian Brothers taught on during the Japanese occupation of Manila. Having to set their school rivalry aside several of the De La Salle boys along with the Ateneo boys had to amicably share classrooms with several other students from various neighboring schools that had closed down due to the fall of Manila to the invading Japanese forces. The DLSC high school classes were later on transferred to St. Scholastica's College in 1943.
The classes were eventually discontinued at the De La Salle campus. On February 1, 1945, Japanese forces ordered the occupants of the DLSC and the surrounding vicinity to vacate the college. However, Egbert Xavier Kelly, the Brother president of the college, bravely refused the order to vacate. On February 7, Br. Kelly FSC was abducted by Japanese soldiers, and was never seen again; he was believed to have been mercilessly tortured and killed. On February 12 shortly after noontime, 20 Japanese soldiers came and forcibly barged into the DLSC campus and massacred 16 of the 17 De La Salle Brothers residing in the campus, along with 25 other residents. Only one Lasallian Brother (Antonius von Jesus) and 21 other civilians survived the tragic event.
Classes resumed in July 1945 with a class of incoming freshmen that was composed of 60 high school graduates. One year later, the College of Commerce reopened with its three-year BS Commerce program extended to a four-year program. The High School Department of De La Salle College was dissolved in 1968. The college, together with Ateneo de Manila University, gave birth to the Asian Institute of Management in the same year with assistance from the Ford Foundation and Harvard University. Several other units were established in the following years.
The 1970s marked substantial developments for De La Salle College. For instance, it started admitting female students in 1973. On February 19, 1975, De La Salle College was granted university status. Since then it became known as De La Salle University. It also used the name De La Salle University – Manila. Since 2008, it has since referred to itself only as De La Salle University, being its registered name in the Philippine Securities and Exchange Commission. The Grade School Department was deprecated in 1978.
The 1980s were also significant for the institution. In 1981, De La Salle University shifted from the traditional semestral academic calendar to a trimestral one. In 1987, the university, together with four other Lasallian institutions, became part of the De La Salle University System. The system would later be dissolved in favor of De La Salle Philippines, a network of 18 Lasallian institutions. De La Salle – College of Saint Benilde became independent of the university in 1988.
An Mk 2 grenade was detonated outside the southern portion of the DLSU campus in front of a popular burger shop along Taft Avenue on September 26, 2010 at around 5:05 pm by opposing rival Law fraternities PST, the same day as the Philippine Bar exams conducted by the university. The blast injured 47 individuals, two of whom required limbs to be amputated. Anthony Leal Nepomuceno was indicted by the Philippine Department of Justice on April 29, 2011, on the charge of detonating the device.
The Taft campus consists of 19 buildings (nine classroom buildings and 10 other buildings for administrative and auxiliary functions) located on a 5.45 ha (13.5-acre) lot in 2401 Taft Avenue Malate, Manila. The campus faces to its right the main campus of De La Salle – College of Saint Benilde, a sister Lasallian institution, and the Vito Cruz Station of the Manila LRT Line 1. As part of the University Belt, several other colleges and universities, including St. Scholastica's College and Philippine Women's University, can be found near the campus.
Construction of the Henry Sy Sr. Hall began on December 2, 2010 as part of the university's Centennial Renewal Plan, a project that aims to construct and renovate facilities inside the campus. A 15-floor building, it replaced DLSU's football field with plans for completion by December 2012. It is estimated to cost ₱1.4 billion (US$32.5 million). In line with this, DLSU entered an eight-year agreement with the Philippine Sports Commission. Under the contract, DLSU will fund the ₱7.4 million (US$171,000) renovation of the Rizal Memorial Track and Football Stadium. DLSU will get to use the facilities in return.
The DLSU campus which is relatively small in size for its large student population, suffers from limited space. According to The LaSallian, each student had only 7.1 m2 (76 sq ft) for himself in 2009. Crowding is expected to only get worse as the university's population has been continuously growing with the growth for 2008–2009 amounting to 27.7 percent. It has also expressed concerns regarding fire safety, citing possible evacuation difficulties should a fire occur at the Br. Andrew Gonzalez Hall, and accessibility issues for fire trucks given the lack of wide roads to major buildings. At least three fires have occurred in the campus, including two at St. Joseph Hall. To address the problem of limited space, DLSU has resolved to vertical expansion. However, this has resulted in overcrowded elevators.
The De La Salle University Science and Technology Complex (DLSU-STC) is a satellite campus of De La Salle University (DLSU) located in Biñan City, Laguna, Philippines. The 55-hectare campus was built on land donated by the family of the late National Artist for Architecture De La Salle alumnus Leandro Locsin. It was originally known as De La Salle Canlubang (DLSC), a district school of De La Salle Philippines that provided science and technology-based primary, secondary, and tertiary education. In 2012, the administrations of DLSU and DLSC approved the integration of DLSC into DLSU, becoming the DLSU Science and Technology Complex (STC).
As of 2018[update] only 0.6 ha (1.5 acres) of DLSU-STC's campus is developed. Under the proposal, DLSU would expand the Colleges of Engineering, Computer Studies, and Science to DLSU-STC's campus due to its location inside the Laguna Technopark. DLSU fears, however, that it might lose some of its students due to the DLSU-STC campus's distance from Manila (around 42 km).
In 2011, the Ortigas Campus of DLSU Ramon V. Del Rosario College of Business moved from La Salle Green Hills in Mandaluyong City to Ortigas Business District. The extension campus is located at the Wynsum Corporate Plaza, Ortigas Center, Pasig City, Philippines.
In September 2013, the Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA) has awarded to De La Salle University the lease and development of a 1,395 square-meter institutional lot in Bonifacio Global City in Taguig City. DLSU signed a contract with BCDA on October 2013. It is now the DLSU College of Law.
|Name||Tenure of office|
|Blimond Pierre Eilenbecker||1911–1912|
|Goslin Camille Thomas||1912–1915|
|Acisclus Michael Naughter||1915–1919|
|Albinus Peter Graves||1919–1921|
|Name||Tenure of office|
|Albinus Peter Graves||1921–1923|
|Acisclus Michael Naughter||1923–1927|
|Celba John Lynam||1927–1930|
|Dorothy Joseph Brophy||1930–1933|
|Marcian James Cullen||1933–1936|
|Flannan Paul Gallagher||1936|
|Egbert Xavier Kelly||1937–1945|
|Lucian Athanasius Reinhart||1945–1950|
|Antony Ferdinand Kilbourn||1945–1946|
|Andelino Manuel Castillo||1950|
|Hyacinth Gabriel Connon||1950–1959|
|Denis of Mary Ruhland||1959–1961|
|Crescentius Richard Duerr||1961–1966|
|Rolando Ramos Dizon||1998–2003|
|Narciso S. Erguiza||2010–2011|
|Raymundo B. Suplido||2015–present|
|Notes||Names in italics were acting presidents.|
As a non-stock incorporated entity, DLSU is headed by a 15-person board of trustees. The DLSU Board of Trustees, currently chaired by Jose T. Pardo, selects the DLSU President. As resolved by the Board of Trustees in June 2010, the president of De La Salle University must be a Lasallian Brother and be a holder of a PhD. Filipino citizenship is not a must but preferred. Prior to the university's move to its present location in 1921, the president was referred to as the director. The president and chancellor, currently Br. Ricardo P. Laguda FSC, is assisted by four vice chancellors. Prior to the reorganization of DLSU in 2007, the chancellor was referred to as the executive vice president. The president may concurrently be the chancellor of the university, as with former President and Chancellor Br. Armin Luistro FSC.
DLSU has had 21 presidents (including seven Filipinos, six Americans, six Irishmen, and two Frenchmen) and three chancellors. All of them, except Carmelita Quebengco, were male. Two of them had been appointed as secretaries of the Philippine Department of Education, including Andrew Gonzalez (1998–2001) and Armin Luistro (2010–present). Meanwhile, Rolando Ramos Dizon, also a former DLSU president, had served as the chairman of Philippine Commission on Higher Education from 2003 to 2004.
De La Salle University is the oldest member of De La Salle Philippines, a network of 17 Lasallian institutions established in 2006. DLSP is the successor of the De La Salle University System, a similar organization.
DLSU is also a member of several international university associations, namely: the ASEAN University Network, Association of Christian Universities and Colleges in Asia, Association of Southeast and East Asian Catholic Colleges and Universities, Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning, International Association of Lasallian Universities, International Association of Universities, International Federation of Catholic Universities, United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia and University Cooperation for Internationalisation. The university is also a member of local organizations, including the Philippine Association for Technological and the South Manila Inter-Institutional Consortium.
De La Salle Philippines, belongs to a 350 year old international, worldwide network of 1,500 Lasallian educational institutions that provides quality Christian-values-based education inspired by Saint La Salle's charism of Faith and Zeal. Several De La Salle schools educate and teach in 6 continents and are globally established in 82 countries.
The University Student Government (USG), headed by Mikee de Vega, is the highest governing student organization. Under it are College Student Governments and Batch Student Governments for each of DLSU's colleges and student batches, respectively. The Legislative Assembly is the highest policy-making body. Prior to a constitutional change in 2010, the (USG) was known as the Student Council. Among such changes with the new system is the Judiciary Branch, which was created to ensure the accountability of the elected officers in the University Student Government. Among its activities were prohibiting the use of polystyrene in food packages in food kiosks along Agno St, and raising ₱200,000 (US$4,630) for the Achiever Scholar program. It had a total endowment of ₱1,424,790.08 (US$32,900) in 2010, including ₱558,000 (US$12,900) appropriated by the university.
|College of Business||1920|||
|College of Computer Studies||1981|||
|College of Education||1936|||
|College of Engineering||1947|||
|College of Law||2010|||
|College of Liberal Arts||1982|||
|College of Science||1920|||
|School of Economics||2010|||
De La Salle University offers 74 undergraduate and over 100 graduate degree programs through its seven colleges and one school. 14 of these are offered as undergraduate double degree programs by the School of Economics. It also offers a degree in mechatronics and robotics, one of the first to offer such in the Philippines.
DLSU received 23,495 undergraduate freshman applications in 2010 and 3,428 of them were admitted. In the same year, it had 11,413 undergraduate and 3,366 graduate students, making a total of 14,779. 704 of these are non-Filipino. 53 percent of the undergraduate students were male while 59 of the graduate students were female. 85 percent of its students come from Metro Manila while almost all reside near the university. In 2011, it had an average of 990 faculty members for the academic year. 69 percent of them held doctorate degrees while 28 had master's degrees.
The College of Science, established in 1920, is the oldest degree-granting unit of the university. In contrast, the College of Business, College of Law, School of Economics (all established in 2010) are the newest of the university. The College of Business and the School of Economics are the products of the reorganization of the defunct College of Business and Economics. The College of Law was established with initially 90 students. It offers a Juris Doctor degree program with focus on environmental and human rights law.
Academic performance is rated from 4.0 (excellent) to 0.0 (fail). Grades 4.0 to 1.0 are separated by increments of 0.5 while 0.0 is immediately after 1.0. Students who attain a grade point average of 3.8, 3.6, 3.4 and 3 are awarded upon graduation summa cum laude, magna cum laude, cum laude and honorable mention, respectively. Graduation occurs every February, June and October. DLSU had 1,050, 1,114 and 734 candidates for graduation for its June 2010, October 2010 and February 2011 graduations, respectively.
DLSU has used the trimestral academic calendar in favor of the traditional semestral calendar since 1981. An academic trimester usually lasts 14 weeks. In contrast, the previous system employed 18-week semesters.
De La Salle's Tuition fee is one of the highest in the Philippines in terms of annual payment and may vary in different colleges within the university. In 2013, tuition per trimester ranged from ₱57,000 (US$1,285) for the College of Law to ₱90,000 (US$2,035) for the College of Engineering. Meanwhile, the average graduate tuition fee per year in 2009 ranged from US$2,560 for Filipino students to US$2,610 for non-Filipino students.
High school valedictorians and salutatorians of DLSP schools are automatically exempt from paying fees under the Br. Andrew Gonzalez Academic Scholarship. Also, dependents of military personnel who died or became incapacitated during duty enjoy similar benefits through PD 577 of President of the Philippines Ferdinand Marcos. Meanwhile, children of faculty and staff, university athletes and performing artists, and senior editors of DLSU student publications are provided tuition fee discounts. Further financial assistance may be provided to students with annual family incomes less than ₱500,000 (US$11,600).
The university ranks third in the official Philippine ranking of universities run by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED); the first being UP Diliman; second, UP Los Banos; and fourth, Ateneo de Manila. It was ranked in the QS World University Rankings (801-1000) as well as the QS Asian University Rankings (151-160). The university was included in 2019 edition of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (THE), ranking 801-1000 in the world. However, the university has not yet appeared in any edition of the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
De La Salle University is identified by the CHED as a "Center of Excellence" in seven disciplines (namely biology, chemistry, Filipino, information technology, literature, mathematics, physics), teacher education, and a "Center of Development" in the field of political science and engineering (namely chemical engineering, civil engineering, industrial engineering, electronics and communications engineering, computer engineering and mechanical engineering). The university is also among the 40 institutions granted autonomous status by CHED as of 2010. Autonomous institutions have the privilege to determine their own curriculum, and offer new courses without prior approval from CHED, among others.
It is the first of the only two institutions (the other being Ateneo) granted the highest-level accreditation (Level IV) by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. All of its undergraduate programs that are accredited by PAASCU are designated Level III while graduate programs are designated Level II.
The college library was established in 1956 upon the merger of the high school and college libraries. It was located on the first two floors of St. Joseph Hall with a seating capacity of 100 persons and a collection of almost 10,000 books. Its collection includes 21,218 titles and 33,741 volumes on language and literature as of 2008, 3,751 titles and 4,898 volumes on fine arts and music as of 2006, and 17,999 titles and 26,526 volumes on philosophy and religion as of 2005. A 2001 assessment places its number of periodicals at 14,362 titles. The library has among the highest borrowing limit per person (30 books), longest loan period (14 days) and highest overdue fine (₱20 per day; US$0.46 per day).
The University Archives grew from its early beginnings in 1973 as the College Archives to a major department/unit in 1989, occupying the fourth floor of the DLSU Library. It holds materials of historical significance to the university (many of which were lost during the Second World War), and acts as its "official memory". The Archives now holds not only the theses collection and the university records, but also the special collections (consisting of books as well as non-book materials, manuscripts and personal papers), faculty publications, De La Salle publications, LaSalliana collection, and museum artifacts among others. Its museum collection includes over 600 ceramic artifacts from Southeast Asia dating back as early as 200 BC, almost 400 specimens of rare Philippine banknotes and coins, over 200 artworks. In addition, it has 298 volumes of film scripts, 766 audio tapes, 66 video tapes, 1,205 volumes on health and nutrition, and 1,050 books and journals on neurology and related disciplines, among others. Several of these collections were donations previously owned by various notable Lasallians, including Senator Jose Diokno, Francisco Ortigas Jr., José Javier Reyes and Senator Lorenzo Tañada.
The Museum is the university's collection of Philippine modern art donated by the heirs of Doreen Fernandez, a food critic. The collection comprises more than 400 works by several artists, including ten National Artists of the Philippines (namely Fernando Amorsolo, Benedicto Cabrera, Botong Francisco, José T. Joya, Ang Kiukok, Cesar Legaspi, Arturo R. Luz, Vicente Manansala, Jeremias Elizalde Navarro and Hernando R. Ocampo).
The De La Salle University Science Foundation serves as DLSU's repository of research funding providing research grants to faculty, and scholarship grants to students. Registered in April 1998, its total assets were worth over ₱8.5 billion (US$197 million) in 2008. 120 (20 percent) of DLSU faculty had been involved in 80 research projects between March 2008 and February 2009. 39 (12 percent) of its faculty had their research published in ISI-listed journals in 2008.
Since 2000, DLSU has been the Commission on Higher Education Zonal Research Center for the 59 colleges and universities located in Las Piñas, Makati, Manila, Muntinlupa, Parañaque, Pasay, Pasig, Pateros, Taguig and San Juan. Its functions include evaluation of research proposals for recommendation for CHED funding and monitoring of CHED-funded researches, among others.
The College of Computer Studies Center for Empathic Human-Computer Interactions specializes in affective computing, a study that seeks to create machines capable of reacting to human emotions. The center is funded by the Philippine Department of Science and Technology. Emotion recognition (including laughter recognition), behavior prediction and the influence of music to emotion are among the center's research, many of which are in collaboration with Osaka University. The center, also in collaboration with Osaka, is the first one that constructed an empathic computing space in the Philippines.
The Center for Micro-Hydro Technology for Rural Electrification of the College of Engineering, established in 2002 through Japan International Cooperation Agency funds, is engaged in designing micro hydro generators. The center, in coordination with the Philippine Department of Energy, has been involved in the electrification of remote areas using micro hydro installations.
Both of the only two solar cars, SINAG (Tagalog for light beam) and SIKAT (brilliance), of the Philippines were made by DLSU engineering faculty and students. SINAG participated in the 2007 World Solar Challenge, and finished 12th among 40 entries. SIKAT (which has more advanced solar cells, a more aerodynamic body, and 100 kg less weight) will participate in the 2011 competition. The project is funded by several private companies, including Ford Philippines, Pilipinas Shell, Philippine Airlines and San Miguel Corporation.
The College of Engineering is among the 18 "National Research Institutions" of the Asian Regional Research Programme on Environmental Technology, a project funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency and coordinated by the Asian Institute of Technology that seeks to assess environmental degradation in Asia. The college has also conducted research on biodiesel from the pili nut and winged bean, and sustainable technology.
As of 2010, the Council of Student Organizations, a union of DLSU-accredited student organizations, had 39 members. Founded in 1974, the council oversees implementation of university-wide activities, such as annual freshmen welcoming.
The LaSallian (first published in 1960) and Ang Pahayagang Plaridel (Tagalog for The Plaridel Newspaper; first published in 1984) are the official student newspapers of the university. The two, written in English and Filipino respectively, are among the four periodicals managed by the Student Media Office. Other student media groups managed by the Student Media Office include the Malate Literary Portfolio, Green & White, Green Giant FM, and Archers Network.
The De La Salle University Chorale is "the premiere chorale group in the university." Since its establishment in 1987, it has won several awards from different international choir competitions, including the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod in 1992 and 2010 for the chamber and folk music, and the grand prize in the Tampere Vocal Music Festival in 1995, among others.
The La Salle Dance Company–Street is the first champion of the UAAP Street Dance Competition, an annual event organized by the University Athletic Association of the Philippines in 2011. They also represent the country as frequent finalists in the World Hip Hop Dance Championships. Other groups in the company specialize in contemporary and folk.
Established around 1966, the Harlequin Theatre Guild is the official theater organization of DLSU. It has performed plays written by Palanca Awards laureates, including Unang Ulan ng Mayo (Tagalog for First Rainfall of May) by John Iremil Teodoro, which was staged for the fourth time in December 2011 in line with the LGBT month of Metro Manila and Rizal is My President: 40 Leadership Tips from Jose Rizal by Joshua So based on the book written by Napoleon G. Almonte and staged during the May 2009 Presidential Elections.
De La Salle has several varsity teams and sport clubs participating in different sports competitions, most notably basketball, volleyball, football and cheerleading. Since 1986, De La Salle University has been a member of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines, an intercollegiate sporting association formed in 1938. The university was also a founding member of National Collegiate Athletic Association, in which it won five grand championships. The university won its first general championship in the UAAP in 2012.
About a century ago Brother John FSC established the pre-war NCAA as the first and oldest athletic collegiate association in the Philippines.
The DLSU Animo Squad was originally known in its pre-war NCAA years as the LaS Rah!Rah!Boys, then a couple years later on as the LSC Yell Command. Decades later on as the post-war DLSC Cheerleading Squad prior to its recent rename by Br. Bernie Oca FSC in 2008 as the present DLSU AN1MO! Squad. The Green & White Spirit Team has won five cheer dance podium finishes in the span of its UAAP participation, in 1994, 1996, 1998, 2011 and 2013. The original De La Salle Yell Command was established in 1926 with four LaS Rah!Rah!Boys / LSC Yell Command pioneers. The initial members of the cheering squad were all male until the inclusion of female cheerleaders in the early 1970s.
The DLSC cheerleading squad was the first spirit team in the NCAA and the UAAP to have female cheerleaders. The first female DLSC cheerleaders were then cross-enrollees from St. Scholastica's College, Manila years before De La Salle College turned coed.
The origins of the Lasallian tradition of singing the "Hail to De La Salle" Alma Mater Song after every Lasallian gathering, event and varsity game while doing the closed fisted and pumped up salute as the "HAIL!, HAIL!, HAIL!" that's passionately sung is a decades-old DLSC squad original. This several decades old Lasallian tradition started after a winless 1970's NCAA basketball season that has been emulated and copied ever since by several former NCAA and present UAAP rival schools.
The LaS, LSC Yell Command Squad that was officially established in 1926 and the present DLSU AN1MO! Squad has been continuously cheerleading for 93 years.
Graduates from high school at De La Salle College include:
Honorary degrees were conferred to the following Individuals:
Jean-Baptiste de La Salle, universal patron of teachers
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to De La Salle University.|