Jumptonavigation Jumptosearch ForsythCountyPublicLibrary">
|Location||Forsyth County, Georgia|
|Access and use|
|Population served||209,023 (2015)|
The Forsyth County Public Library as of 2015 had the highest circulation per capita in the state of Georgia. The Sharon Forks branch additionally was recognized as the busiest library in the state with a circulation of over one million materials.
The first library in Forsyth county was run out of the home of Laura Hockenhull, who at the time owned a private library and decided to open it up to the public. By 1938 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) of Forsyth opened the first formal county library with a collection of just over 600 volumes. This collection of books was housed throughout the county, largely on a bookmobile that covered 20 routes through the county - on behalf of funding from the WPA.
In 1956, in an effort to consolidate resources, Forsyth and Gwinnett County made a joint library named the Gwinnett-Forsyth Regional Library. This relationship drastically increased the volumes available in the system as Gwinnett county housed a half dozen library locations while the Forsyth library collections were spread out among various buildings.
Finally, in 1966 a formal location for library use was constructed in Forsyth county. Funding came from the Federal Library Services and Construction Act, and allowed for a centralized location for most of the county's books. By this time, due to the proximity to Atlanta the population in nearby counties, including Forsyth, was booming. A bond referendum passed in 1988 gave $2.1 million for the improvement of the county libraries, and the state of Georgia matched this with a $2 million grant for construction of a new building which opened in 1992.
In 1995 Gwinnett county decided to dissolve the Gwinnett-Forsyth Regional Library System as their population and accommodations had grown to a point of independence.
The following year, 1996, as a response to the split from Gwinnett county, Forsyth county passed a Special-purpose local-option sales tax (SPLOST) in order to raise funds to build a new library branch. This was repeated in 1998 to open the Sharon Forks Branch in 2000.
In 2010 a third location, the Hampton Park Library was opened. In 2013 the Post Road Library had opened, marking FCPL's fourth location.
|Cumming Library||585 Dahlonega Street, Cumming, GA 30040|
|Hampton Park Library||5345 Settingdown Road, Cumming, GA 30041|
|Post Road Library||5010 Post Road, Cumming, GA 30040|
|Sharon Forks Library||2820 Old Atlanta Road, Cumming, GA 30041|