The 1822, 1826 and 1838 constitutions, as well as the 1842 revival of the 1826 constitutional charter, confirmed cognatic primogeniture among the legitimate issue of the then-reigning monarch and, in case of their extinction, among collateral descendants of the Braganza dynasty. That had been the customary succession in pre-constitutional Portugal.
The 1838 constitution was replaced in 1842 by reviving the 1826 Constitutional Charter of Portugal. Among other things, the 1826 charter stipulated that, should there be no eligible descendants of Maria II of Portugal, the crown would pass to a collateral heir.
Maria II has living legitimate descendants today, but they are not Portuguese citizens and make no claim to represent the royal line of Portugal.
Family of the current Miguelist claimant
Maria II was restored to the throne of Portugal in 1834, on the deposition and exile of her uncle Miguel I of Portugal. The Miguelist claim to the Portuguese throne rests with:
(6) Pedro Maria de Sousa e Menezes van Uden (b. 1985)
(7) Mariana de Sousa e Meneses van Uden (b. 1978)
(8) Ana Rita de Sousa Menezes van Uden (b. 1981)
(9) Nuno Miguel de Bragança van Uden (b. 1947)
(10) Miguel Maria Bonneville van Uden (b. 1972)
(11) Miguel Maria Lopes van Uden (b. 1997)
(12) Maria Ana do Carmo Lopes van Uden (b. 2001)
(13) Nuno de Santa Maria Bonneville van Uden (b. 1983)
(14) Mafalda Maria Bonneville van Uden (b. 1970)
(15) Ana do Carmo Maria Bonneville van Uden (b. 1984)
(16) Francisco Xavier Damiano de Bragança van Uden (b. 1949)
(17) Afonso Miguel Maria Gil van Uden (b. 1980)
(18) Henrique Maria Gil van Uden (b. 1987)
(19) João Maria Gil van Uden (b. 1989)
(20) Maria Francisca Gil van Uden (b. 1982)
(21) Rodrigo van Uden Cachão (b. 2015)
(22) Miguel Inácio de Bragança van Uden (b. 1953)
(23) Sebastião Dentinho van Uden (b. ?)
(24) Catarina Dentinho van Uden (b. 1978)
(25) Francisco van Uden Corrêa de Sá (b. 2005)
(26) Henrique van Uden Corrêa de Sá (b. 2015)
(27) Benedita van Uden Corrêa de Sá (b. 2009)
(28) Maria Inês Dentinho van Uden (b. 1980)
(29) Filipa Teodora de Bragança van Uden (b. 1951)
(30) Nuno Gregório van Uden Fontes (b. 1976)
(31) Francisco Maria van Uden Fontes (b. 1983)
(32) Diana van Uden Fontes (b. 1985)
(33) Maria Teresa de Bragança van Uden (b. 1956)
(34) Francisco Maria van Uden Chaves (b. 1983)
(35) Mafalda Maria Valente Pica van Uden Chaves (b. 2015)
(36) Xavier Maria van Uden Chaves (b. 1985)
(37) Miguel van Uden Chaves (b. 1986)
(38) Rodrigo van Uden Chaves (b. 1993)
^ abcde Badts de Cugnac, Chantal. Coutant de Saisseval, Guy (2002). Le Petit Gotha. Paris: Nouvelle Imprimerie Laballery. pp. 738–42, 748–49, 756–59 (French) ISBN2950797431
^ abcGoutant de Saisseval, Guy (1982). La Legitimite Monarchique. Paris: Editions Christian. pp. 190–91. ISBN2864960184.
^"A sucessão da Coroa segue a ordem regular de primogenitura, e representação entre os legítimos descendentes; preferindo sempre a linha anterior às posteriores; na mesma linha, o grau mais próximo ao mais remoto; no mesmo grau, o sexo masculino ao feminino; e no mesmo sexo, a pessoa mais velha à mais nova."
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by contributors.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Unetizen is an independent company and has no affiliation with Wikimedia Foundation.