|3rd U-boat Flotilla|
|Active||Raised 1937, Dissolved 1944|
|Garrison/HQ||Kiel, La Pallice|
|Korvettenkapitän Hans-Rudolf Rösing|
Kapitänleutnant Herbert Schultze
Korvettenkapitän Robert-Richard Zapp
The 3rd U-boat Flotilla (German 3. Unterseebootsflottille), also known as Lohs Flotilla, was the third operational U-boat unit in Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine. Founded on 4 October 1937 under the command of Kapitänleutnant Hans Eckermann, it was named in honour of Oberleutnant zur See Johannes Lohs. Lohs, a U-boat commander during World War I, died on 14 August 1918 after his submarine UB-57 was sunk by a mine.
The flotilla, under the name "Lohs Flotilla", was founded in Kiel in June 1937 and existed until December 1939. The flotilla was re-founded as "3rd Flotilla" in March 1941 with its base in Kiel. In October 1941 the flotilla was moved to La Pallice, La Rochelle in France. In August 1944 the last U-boats left the base for Norway and the flotilla was disbanded in October 1944.
|October 1937 - December 1939||Kapitänleutnant||Hans Eckermann|
|March 1941 - July 1941||Korvettenkapitän||Hans-Rudolf Rösing|
|July 1941 - March 1942||Kapitänleutnant||Herbert Schultze|
|March 1942 - June 1942||Kapitänleutnant||Heinz von Reiche i.V.|
|June 1942 - October 1944||Korvettenkapitän||Robert-Richard Zapp|
U-Boats of the Flotilla
- 3. Unterseebootsflottille Archived 10 February 2007 at the Wayback Machine. Uboatnet.de. Retrieved 28 January 2007.
- 3rd Flotilla. Uboat.net. Retrieved 28 January 2007.
- "Fregattenkapitän Hans Eckermann". www.uboat.net. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "Kapitän zur See Hans-Rudolf Rösing". www.uboat.net. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "Korvettenkapitän Herbert Schultze". www.uboat.net. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "Korvettenkapitän Heinz von Reiche". www.uboat.net. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "Fregattenkapitän Robert-Richard Zapp". www.uboat.net. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- uboat.net – comprehensive website dedicated to U-boat history.
|This article about a specific German military unit is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|