|417 Combat Support Squadron|
|417e Escadron de soutien au combat (French)|
|Branch||Royal Canadian Air Force|
|Part of||4 Wing|
|Garrison/HQ||CFB Cold Lake|
|Motto(s)||Supporting liberty and justice|
|Honorary colonel||Kendra Kincade|
|Argent in front of a palm tree Or eradicated a sword Argent and fasces Gules in saltire|
417 Combat Support Squadron (French: 417e Escadron de soutien au combat) is an Air Force unit with the Canadian Forces. Based at CFB Cold Lake it provides helicopter support to the base operations. Since 1994, it has also provided search and rescue.
417 Squadron was a Royal Canadian Air Force squadron formed in England on 27 November 1941 at RAF Charmy Down and was known as the "City of Windsor" squadron. It was equipped with the Hurricane and later the Spitfire. It was initially deployed in Egypt and followed the allied advance through the western desert. With the defeat of axis forces in North Africa, the squadron followed the advance through Italy. It disbanded in Italy on 1 July 1945.
Reformed as a part of the Canadian Forces in 1970 it operated as an operational training squadron on the CF-104 Starfighter at CFB Cold Lake. The squadron disbanded in 1983 with the retirement of the CF-104 fleet.
On 1 April 1993, No 417 Combat Support squadron was formed from CFB Cold Lake Base Flight plus aircraft servicing and maintenance elements of the Wing Maintenance organization. The squadron continued Base Flight's operations with ten Canadair CT-133 Silver Star and three CH-118 Iroquois. When Base Rescue Moose Jaw was disbanded in 1993, 417 Squadron gained two of their CH-118s, to operate a total of five.
417 Combat Support Squadron official badge 1993
417 Combat Support Squadron Rescue Flight badge 1993
417 Combat Support Squadron T-33 Flight aircraft type badge 1993
417 Combat Support Squadron unofficial badge worn by all members 1993
Base Flight Cold Lake badge 1990
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 417 Squadron RCAF.|