The 440th Operations Group is an active United States Air Force Reserve unit. It is the flying component of the Twenty-Second Air Force 440th Airlift Wing, stationed at Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina.
|440th Operations Group|
|Active||1943–1945; 1947–1951; 1953–1959; 1992–present|
|Branch||United States Air Force Reserve|
The unit's World War II predecessor unit, the 440th Troop Carrier Group was a C-47 Skytrain transport unit assigned to Ninth Air Force in Western Europe. The 440th TCG dropped paratroops of the 101st Airborne Division near Carentan on the Cotentin Peninsula of France on 6 June 1944 and by transporting gasoline, ammunition, food, and other supplies to the same area on 7 June, being awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation for completing these missions during the Invasion of Normandy.
The 440th Operations Group (Tail Stripe Bragg-Pope) consists of the following units flying C-130 Hercules aircraft:
Began operations by dropping paratroops of the 101st Airborne Division near Carentan on the Cotentin Peninsula on 6 June 1944 and by transporting gasoline, ammunition, food, and other supplies to the same area on 7 June, being awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation for completing these missions during the invasion of Normandy.
Began flying supply and evacuation missions between England and France after the invasion of the Continent. In July 1944 most of the group was sent to Italy where it transported supplies to Rome until August 1944. The "detachment" in Italy participated in the invasion of southern France, dropping paratroops of the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment near Le Muy on 15 August and towing gliders carrying reinforcements to that area later in the day.
Meanwhile, those remaining in England continued to haul cargo, and on 10 August 1944 dropped supplies to an infantry battalion encircled at Mortain in northern France. The detachment returned to England on 25 August 1944. The air echelon moved to France on 11 September 1944, but returned immediately to England to participate in the airborne invasion of the Netherlands. Dropped paratroops of the 82d Airborne Division near Groesbeek on 17 September 1944 and released gliders with reinforcements on 18 and 23 September
By the end of Sep, the entire group had completed the move to France. On 26 December 1944, during the Battle of the Bulge, the group hauled gliders filled with supplies for the 101st Airborne Division encircled at Bastogne. In March 1945 it towed gliders with troops of the 17th Airborne Division to the battle area near Wesel during the airborne assault across the Rhine. Between 21 April and 14 May 1945, the group's air echelon operated from Conflans, France, to be closer to the front. The group transported food, clothing, medical supplies, gasoline, ammunition, and other cargo to the front lines and evacuated casualties to rear-zone hospitals.
After the war transported liberated prisoners and displaced persons. Inactivated in Europe on 18 October 1945.
Activated in the US on 3 September 1947. Trained for troop carrier operations in the Reserve. Became part of the 440th Troop Carrier Wing when it activated in June 1949. Called to active duty on 1 May 1951 and inactivated four days later with its personnel and equipment being reassigned to other units as a result of the Korean War.
Activated again in the Reserve as a Fighter-Bomber Group the following year. Transitioned from fighter aircraft to C-119s, beginning in April 1957. In November 1957 the 440th Wing and the 95th Squadron moved on paper to Wisconsin, leaving the 440th Group and the 96th Squadron in Minnesota. The Group inactivated on 14 April 1959 as a result of the Tri-Deputate organization implementation.
Activated on 1 August 1992. Personnel participated in exercises, humanitarian and other airlift missions, worldwide.