|4728th Air Defense Group
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
The group was formed to provide a single command and support organization for the two fighter interceptor squadrons of Air Defense Command (ADC), that were tenants at Dover, a Military Air Transport Service (MATS) base. It was also assigned a maintenance squadron to perform aircraft maintenance. It was discontinued after the 46th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron inactivated in 1958, leaving only a single fighter squadron at Griffiss.
The 4728th Air Defense Group was organized in early 1957. The group was established to provide a headquarters for Air Defense Command (ADC) Fighter-Interceptor Squadrons (FIS) stationed at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware, a Military Air Transport Service base, whose 1607th Air Base Group acted as the host base organization. It was assigned the 46th FIS, flying Lockheed F-94 Starfire aircraft, armed with Mighty Mouse rockets. and the 98th FIS, flying Northrop F-89 Scorpion aircraft, armed with both Mighty Mouse rockets and AIM-4 Falcons as its operational squadrons. Both aircraft had a radar officer to operate the aircraft airborne intercept radar. The group mission was air defense of the Middle Atlantic Area of the United States. These squadrons were already stationed at Dover and had been assigned to the New York Air Defense Sector.
In August, maintenance for the two squadrons was combined in the 604th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron (CAMS), which was activated at Dover. The 98th FIS converted to newer model F-89s, which could carry nuclear armed AIR-2 Genies, in the fall of 1957. The group was discontinued when the 46th FIS was inactivated, leaving only a single operational ADC squadron at Dover. The 604th CAMS was also inactivated, while the 98th FIS was then assigned directly to the New York Air Defense Sector.
|volume=has extra text (help)