Activated as an ADC Aircraft Control and Warning Group, forming radar squadrons in the late 1940s and the early 1950s and deploying them around the New York, New Jersey area under First Air Force and the 26th Air Division. On 16 April 1950, the reserve 563d Aircraft Control and Warning Group was activated as a Corollary unit at Roslyn, sharing the 503d's equipment and facilities. The 563d was called to active duty on 2 June 1951 and was inactivated, with its personnel used as fillers for the 503d.
Constituted as the 503d Aircraft Warning Group, 1 April 1948
Activated on 1 April 1948
Redesignated 503d Aircraft Control and Warning Group, 6 December 1949
Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946-1980(PDF). Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center.
Grant, C.L., The Development of Continental Air Defense to 1 September 1954, (1961), USAF Historical Study No. 126
Winkler, David F; Webster, Julie L (1997). Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program. Champaign, IL: US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories. LCCN97020912.