|78th Air Base Wing
|Active||1948–1952, 1956–1969, 1972–1977, 1994–present|
|Part of||Air Force Material Command |
Warner Robins Air Logistics Center
|Garrison/HQ||Robins Air Force Base|
|Motto(s)||Above the Foe|
|Decorations||Distinguished Unit Citation |
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
|Colonel Brian Moore|
|78th Air Base Wing emblem (Approved 26 December 1995)[note 1]|
The wing was first activated as the 78th Fighter Wing in September 1948 as part of the wing base reorganization. It performed air defense duties on the Pacific Coast until 1952, when it was inactivated in a general reorganization of Air Defense Command. The wing was again activated in 1956 and continued the air defense mission until 1969.
In 1972, Air Training Command replaced its MAJCON 3560th Pilot Training Wing at Webb Air Force Base with the unit, then designated the 78th Flying Training Wing. The wing continued to train pilots at Webb until 1977, when Webb was closed.
On 24 September 1948 the 78th Fighter Wing was established at Hamilton Air Force Base, California by the Hobson Plan, with the 78th Fighter Group becoming a component of the wing, controlling its flying resources
Redesignated the 78th Fighter-Interceptor Wing in January 1950 as part of Air Defense Command. The group's squadrons (82d, 83d, 84th FIS) flew numerous interceptors for West Coast air defense. Inactivated on 6 February 1952 as part of a reorganization of ADC, its operational element was replaced by the 4702d Defense Wing. Its support elements were replaced at Hamilton by the 566th Air Base Group the same day. This group was redesignated the 566th Air Defense Group and assumed operational responsibilities at Hamilton on 16 February 1953. On 18 August 1955, the 566th Air Defense Group was replaced by a former element of the wing, the 78th Fighter Group (Air Defense).
In 1956, it was decided to elevate the operational units at Hamilton back to a Wing level, and the wing was reactivated, with its operational squadrons still controlled by the 78th Fighter Group. The group component of the wing was considered to be a redundant level of organization by the late 1950s, and the 78th FIG was inactivated on 1 February 1961, with its flying units being directly assigned to the Wing.
The 78th Fighter Wing was the host unit at Hamilton until it was inactivated at the end of December 1969 and its mission, equipment were transferred to the 1st Fighter Wing, which transferred to Hamilton on paper from Selfridge Air Force Base, Michigan.
The 78th Flying Training Wing replaced and absorbed resources of the 3560th Pilot Training Wing at Webb Air Force Base, Texas, on 1 December 1972. Squadrons were 82d, 83d, 3389th Flying Training Sqdns. The wing performed pilot training for both USAF and allied officers.
In 1977 the end of the Vietnam War meant a decrease in the need for Air Force pilots and Webb was closed. The 78th FTW was inactivated.
In 1989 the Dutch government allowed USAF to upgrade its headquarters unit at Soesterberg AB from squadron to group status. The story goes that the USAF wanted to change the 32d into the 78th TFG but that the Dutch government didn't allow another number as not to stir up the people who were against the American presence in the Netherlands.
Since its reactivation in 1994, the 78th Air Base Wing has provided host services and support for the Warner-Robins Air Logistics Center and its tenant organizations.