|84th Combat Sustainment Wing|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Force Material Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Hill Air Force Base|
Its mission was to provide system support manager functions for air-to-surface munitions, and multiple Command, Control, Communication and Intelligence (C3I) systems, and supply chain management for space systems, C3I systems, landing gear, power systems and multiple aircraft programs. Perhaps its most notable subordinate organization was the 84th Combat Sustainment Group.
The 84th Fighter Wing was established in 1949 as a reserve corollary unit of the 52d Fighter Wing at Mitchel AFB, New York but was not manned until it moved to McGuire AFB, New Jersey later that year. Even after its move, the wing remained undermanned and performed little training. It had no aircraft assigned, but flew North American F-82 Twin Mustang aircraft of the 52d Wing. However, during its only active duty encampment it had only four pilots qualified to fly this aircraft. It was called to active duty in 1951 for twenty-one months, but the day after it was activated its personnel were transferred to the 52d Fighter Wing.
The wing was reactivated in 2005 as part of the Air Force Materiel Command Transformation, which converted its traditional staff agency organizations into wings, groups, and squadrons. It was originally assigned four functional groups, but all but one of the groups was inactivated by 2008.
The wing is also authorized the honors and history of its subordinate 84th Combat Sustainment Group, earned as a fighter group during World War II and as a component of Air Defense Command during the Cold War.