Alan Leshner is a scientist, educator and public servant from the United States.
Leshner received an undergraduate degree in psychology from Franklin and Marshall College in 1965. He earned an M.S. in physiological psychology from Rutgers University in 1967, and a Ph.D. degree in physiological psychology from Rutgers in 1969.
Leshner spent 10 years at Bucknell University, where he was Professor of Psychology. He has also held long-term appointments at the Postgraduate Medical School in Budapest, Hungary, at the Wisconsin Regional Primate Research Center, and as a Fulbright Scholar at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel.
He is the author of a major textbook on the relationship between hormones and behavior, and has published over 150 papers for both the scientific and lay communities on the biology of behavior, science and technology policy, science education, and public engagement with science.
Leshner served as Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) from 1994-2001. One of the scientific institutes of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, NIDA supports over 85 percent of the world's research on the health aspects of drug abuse and addiction.
Before becoming Director of NIDA, Leshner was the Deputy Director and Acting Director of the National Institute of Mental Health. He went to NIMH from the National Science Foundation (NSF), where he held a variety of senior positions, focusing on basic research in the biological, behavioral and social sciences, science policy and science education.
American Association for the Advancement of Science
Leshner was the Chief Executive Officer of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and Executive Publisher of the journal Science from December 2001-February 2015. AAAS, founded in 1848, is the world's largest, multi-disciplinary scientific and engineering society.
Leshner is an elected fellow of AAAS, the National Academy of Public Administration, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and many other professional societies. He is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies of Science.
Leshner has been nominated by the AAAS to be one of the USA Science and Engineering Festival's Nifty Fifty Speakers who will speak about his work and career to middle and high school students in October 2010. Leshner is also a member of the USA Science and Engineering Festival's Advisory Board. He also serves on the Society for Science & the Public's board of trustees.
- Alan I. Leshner: Chief Executive Officer
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-05-07. Retrieved 2009-01-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Leshner, Alan (22 December 2014). "The Partnership of Scientists and Diplomats". Science & Diplomacy. 3 (4).
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2012-10-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) retrieved 2010-03-26
- http://www.usasciencefestival.org/about/advisors Archived 2010-04-21 at the Wayback Machine retrieved 2010-07-05
- "Georgetown Announces Speakers for 2014 Commencement". Georgetown University. May 1, 2014. Archived from the original on May 2, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Appearances on C-SPAN