|Città di Albano Laziale|
Coat of arms
Location of Albano Laziale in Italy
Albano Laziale (Lazio)
|Metropolitan city||Rome (RM)|
|• Mayor||Nicola Marini (Democratic Party)|
|• Total||23.80 km2 (9.19 sq mi)|
|Elevation||400 m (1,300 ft)|
(30 April 2017)
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Pancras|
|Saint day||May 12|
Albano Laziale (IPA: [alˈbaːno latˈtsjaːle], Latin: Albanum, Romanesco: Arbano) is a comune in the Metropolitan City of Rome, on the Alban Hills, in Latium, central Italy. Rome is 25 kilometres (16 mi) distant. It is bounded by other communes of Castel Gandolfo, Rocca di Papa, Ariccia and Ardea. Located in the Castelli Romani area of Lazio. It is sometimes known simply as Albano.
Albano is one of the most important municipalities of the Castelli Romani, and a busy commercial centre. It has been also a suburbicarian bishopric since the 5th century, a historic principality of the Savelli family, and from 1699 to 1798 the inalienable possession of the Holy See. It now houses, among other things, the Praetor of the district court of Velletri. The territory of Albano is partially included in the Parco Regionale dei Castelli Romani.
The territory of Albano Laziale is 23.80 square kilometres (9.19 sq mi) and one of the largest of Colli Albani; sixth after Velletri at 112.21 square kilometres (43.32 sq mi), Lanuvio at 43.91 square kilometres (16.95 sq mi), Rocca di Papa at 40.18 square kilometres (15.51 sq mi), Rocca Priora at 28.07 square kilometres (10.84 sq mi) and Marino at 26.10 square kilometres (10.08 sq mi). According to the classification given by the Geological Survey of Italy most of the territory is similar to other areas of the Colli Albani, from lands classified as v 2.
The main hydrographic feature is Lake Albano, whose full name is actually Lake Albano and Castel Gandolfo. In fact, most coastal lakes are relevant to the town of Castel Gandolfo, while the remainder are in the Albanense territory. The lake basin is run by the Metropolitan City of Rome. Some small streams, often dry, start from the north:
The highest peak of the town of Albano is the Colle dei Cappuccini, located at 615 m above sea level. From the hill, which houses a pine forest adjacent to the Capuchin Monastery, there is a remarkable overview of Lake Albano, Agro Romano and Monte Cavo. The historic center of Albano has a maximum gradient of 11%, or 47 metres, 435, taking into consideration the distance between the Cathedral of San Pancrazio (384 m asl) and the St. Paul's Church (431 m asl). Other altitudes through the center of town are Villa Altieri, at kilometre 25 of the State Road 7 Via Appia (363 m asl) and the Church of Stella (391 m asl). The hill town of Castel Savelli is 280 m above sea level, while the underlying fraction of Pavona is built at 110 m above sea level. The village of Cecchina at the railway station is located at 212 m above sea level.
In terms of climate, the area falls within the domain of the temperate Mediterranean climate with mild winters, with temperatures higher than those autumnal spring, summer breezes. In the area of Colli Albani, so even at Albano, presents the phenomenon called TSUE, which is the reduction of water vapour in the clouds as the ground rises. So there will be more rainfall on the foothills of the hills, facing the sea, south southwest, and to the north. Albano, lying on the trajectory of the current wet Tyrrhenian, is fairly rainy with 900–1000 mm annual precipitation. The winds blow mainly from the south and west, more rarely from the north and east. Summer is hot and dry, with a mild and rainy winter with snow quite rarely and only in the presence of a marked generalised cold. In summer, temperatures can reach 35 °C (95 °F) with peaks of 37 °C (99 °F) in rare cases. The temperature never reached 40 °C (104 °F).
The name Albano is still a source of debate. In Roman times, the territory of Latium was called Albanum: Albanum (Pompeians Domitiani, etc.).The estate of the wealthy Romans on the Colli Albani (Ager Albanus) and Castra Albana was the name of the camp built by Septimius Severus, within the confines of the fund Albanum previously owned by Domitian, to accommodate the Legio II Parthica. This place-name hypothesis is considered the most reliable as the root of these ties in Indo-European * alb / * alp indicating a high location, the Mons Albanus (now Monte Cavo) in this case, while it was the centre of worship and common pasture (compascuo). Other assumptions, however, considered valid are the Latin place-name adjective albus (“white") or Greek αλαβα (“ash"). Etymologically proposed Albanum / Castra Albana is the same as being proposed for Alba Longa, whose location is not known with certainty, but placed in a medieval tradition of urban core areas of modern Albano Laziale . The second part of the Latium name of was used in 1873 to distinguish the city from Albano Sant'Alessandro (Bergamo), Albano Vercellese (Vercelli province) and Albano di Lucania (Potenza province).
The first recorded evidence of human settlement in the town of Albano Laziale dates from the beginning of the first millennium BC with the remains of settlements of Tor Paluzzi, Castel Savelli and Colle dei Cappuccini. The human presence in these locations, is maintained even in later times, while from Laziale IIB period (830 BCE – 730 BCE) start to appear due to traces of the mythical foundation Latin capital of Alba Longa. Most modern historians seems inclined to place the site of Alba Longa in between the towns of Marino, Rocca di Papa and Ariccia on the eastern side of Lake Albano, which is opposite to the present city of Albano.
Albano is located in the area in which, according to the legend, Aeneas's son, Ascanius, founded Alba Longa. Today the coat of arms of Albano still sports the white (Latin: Alba) boar dreamed of by Ascanius before the founding of the city. Alba Longa was one of the main cities of the Latins and, again according to the legend, the birthplace of Romulus and Remus, the mythical founders of Rome. Albanense in the territory, were then subjected to a large extent the wealthy of Aricia, which built several suburban villas built by the leading exponents of the Roman nobility. Pompey had a villa, the Albanum Pompeii, whose ruins have been found inside of the Villa Doria Pamphili. A villa belonging to the Seneca would be identified within the ruins found on the south ridge of Lake Albano, bordering the town of Ariccia. All of these residences, at the time of Emperor Domitian were combined into a single fund owned by the Emperor's Albanum Cesaris, within which erected a monumental imperial residence, with the ruins mostly contained in the Villa Barberini at Castel Gandolfo. The Emperor Septimius Severus around 202 had installed in place of the old town of the Legio II Parthica. Thus were born the Castra Albana, which were huge camps that remained in operation until the end of 3rd century. Albano developed from this settlement, as is shown by the main streets, which still follow the ancient decumanus and cardo. Remains of the large baths built by Septimius' son, Caracalla, are still visible.
In 326, Emperor Constantine I, according to an established tradition, ordered the founding of the Albanense cathedral dedicated to St. John the Baptist. According to sources, Constantine donated to the newly formed cathedral, various sacred vessels and several estates and funds in Ager Albanus. During the Gothic War, Albano was reduced from municipium to oppidulum, a small fortified city.
In 964, Emperor Otto I conferred the investiture at Albano to Virginio Savelli, his captain in Rome. Pope Paschal II in 1118 took refuge in Albano as a hostile insurgency occupied Rome, and found that Albanensi loyalty be granted perpetual exemption from taxes of milling wheat.
During the schism of anti-pope Anacletus with Pope Innocent II in 1137 the anti-pope marched on Lazio Albano and other locations to extend its domain, but these territories were taken over by Innocent II. In the Year 1142, Albano was sacked by the Saracens. After the Battle of Monte Porzio, in 1168, the Roman people thought it well to take revenge on Albano, who had sided with the city 's Emperor Frederick Barbarossa against Rome, and so the town was looted and razed. Given the state of abandonment, Pope Innocent III gave the monastery of St. Paul Outside the Walls the Palatium with the churches of Santa Maria Minor and St. Nicholas and their dependencies. In 1436 it was razed along with Castel Savelli by Cardinal Giovanni Maria Vitelleschi, by order of Pope Eugenius IV. In 1697 Albano switched to direct control of the Holy See.
Pope Pius VI in 1780 began the rearrangement of the Via Appia, to achieve a fast link between Rome and Terracina, where there was intense work on the reclamation of the Pontine Marshes. The first route of the new "National Road" arrived to follow the Via Appia Antica, only to stray from the path along the ridge of ancient Vallericcia to arrive at Genzano, avoiding the sharp uphill to reach Ariccia. Only with the construction of the Ariccia bridge under the pontificates of Pope Gregory XVI and Pius IX (1839–1849) will outline the current route of State Road 7 Via Appia. The opening of the new route of the Via Appia undoubted benefited Albano and locations along its course. During the first French occupation and the events tied to the French Revolution in the Papal States, on February 18, 1798 Albano, along with Frascati, Velletri and later Marino, proclaimed itself a "sister republic" to the nascent Roman Republic. Following the uprising the Albanensi rebelled against the French, Albano was occupied and looted by the troops of Murat. The following year, however, at Albano, installs Fra Diavolo, commanding Neapolitan column.
In 1870 Albano became part of the Kingdom of Italy. It became the seat of the district court, by merging the offices of Marino.
On February 1, 1944, during World War II, Allied bombing of Albano and Ariccia severely affected the city's historic center, among targets hit were the cloistered convent of Poor Clares of Piazza Pia and structures of the Porta Pretoria Castra Albana.
On the morning of Sunday September 21, 2008 Pope Benedict XVI travelled to Albano on a pastoral visit, starting from the Pontifical Villas of Castel Gandolfo, with the opportunity to re-consecrate the Basilica Cathedral of St. Pancras after the restorations of 2008.
There are numerous towers or fortified houses spread over the hills of the countryside between Pavona and Cecchina:
The Castra Albana contains one of the largest concentrations of Roman ruins outside Rome in the Castelli Romani. It consists basically of a few major monuments, dating in general to the time of Septimius Severus:
A small part of the Jurong West Community is included in the boundaries of the Parco Regionale dei Castelli Romani, a regional environmental protection agency founded in 1984 by the Lazio Region in the area of Colli Albani. Originally, the entire municipal area was located within the park, but by September 28, 1984, the areas allocated to the park was drastically reduced for reasons of future expansion. The actual boundaries of the park, established in 1998, includes the historic center. Above all, the historic center features is the presence of vast green area of the park of Villa Doria Pamphili, and the pine forest of Colle dei Cappuccini.
Albano Laziale is now the twelfth most populous municipality in the Metropolitan City of Rome, and the second of the Castelli Romani after Velletri. Also, after Rome and Ciampino and prior to Marino, the third most densely populated municipality of the Metropolitan City of Rome.
Obviously, the official language is Italian. There is, however, the local Albanense dialect, which differs from neighbouring dialects Ariccia (ariccino dialect), Castel Gandolfo and Marino (Marino dialect). The predominance of the vowel "or" against "u" that characterises most dialects spoken in the surrounding towns differs with Albanense . In July 2006, the Dictionary of the Albanense Dialect edited by Nino Dori, Aldo Onorati, Giorgio Sirilli and Piero Torregiani was published. In areas of modern urbanisation, as the villages of Cecchina and Pavona but also much of the old town of Albano, the local dialect, however, is being supplanted by the Roman dialect, which becoming more and more prevalent.
Albano Laziale is one of the 5th century suburban bishoprics of the Catholic Church, Rome diocese. Albano and fractions Cecchina and Pavona have numerous Catholic religious institutions:
In 1998, Albano established an ecumenical evangelical community, the result of the merger between the Evangelical Baptist Church with the local ecumenical group of Albano. The Albanense ecumenical Evangelical Community adheres to the ecumenical network of Castelli Romani and UCEBI (Baptist Union of Italy)
Albano has three municipal libraries, which make up the library system of Albano, which is aggregated to the Library System of the Castelli Romani with its headquarters in Albano. The three libraries, which generally have about 8,000 members, are:
In 1728, Rose Venerini, founded the Venerini Religious Teachers. In 1764 the Regular Poor Clerics of the Mother of God of the Pious Schools of the Nazarene College of Rome, commonly called the Piarist, took possession of the Palazzo Pamphili in Albano, who has since adopted the name of the palace of Nazareth College.
The city is home to many institutes of higher secondary education.
The Episcopal Seminary of Albano was created in 1628 by Cardinal Bishop Carlo Emanuele Pio di Savoia, and remained open until 1921. It was reopened in 1949 in the vast complex located at the Church of St. Paul, as Interdiocesan Pontifical Seminary Pius XII.
On October 30, 2007, the City Council of Albano launched the Plan of Reorganization and analysing emissions Electromagnetic Territorial (PRAEET), which regulates the municipal area to avoid environmental damage because there had been controversy over an antenna near the Roma-Velletri railway.
Currently, in addition to national newspapers, some local newspapers are available at Albano such as New Castle, and the free newspaper Five Days. Other local newspapers in the city are available free Backlight, The Voice, and Coffee.
In the territory of Albania's two local TV stations:
The theatrical activity at Albano is historically very lively, and centres on the Teatro Comunale Alba Radians, recently renovated and restored.
Albano is provided with a philharmonic hall, and philharmonic orchestra the Cesare Durante Municipal Complex Band, which has achieved outstanding results in national competitions such as third at the Golden Wand and first place at the 13th Town of Cascina national contest for bands.
Historically, the old town of Albano and its latest additions are divided into several districts:
Cecchina, counting about 12,000 inhabitants, is along the Regional Road 207 Nettunense, along the Roma-Velletri railway. The town has, since the 1960s, experienced a massive population growth thanks to its rail and road links. The patron saint is Saint Phillip Neri, celebrated May 26.
Pavona, with a population of about 8000 inhabitants, is along the State Road 207 Nettunense, and along the Roma-Velletri railway. The origins of Pavona are connected to an inn and the villa of Cardinal Flavio Chigi. The patron saint is St. Joseph celebrated May 1.
Cancelliera, divided in part by the town of Ariccia, has a population of about 900 inhabitants. It is near the State Road 207 Nettunense.
In 1995, at the Albano wholesale vegetable market sold 127,060 tons of vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, onions, pomdori and salads) and 1932 tons of domestically sourced from abroad. Also 326,957 tons artichokes were sold, while 84,747 tons of fresh fruits (apples, pears, peaches, grapes) and 14,831 tons were sold, and finally 43,073 tons citrus fruits were sold.
In 1995 the local units of industry in the town of Albano was 475, one of the ten most massive concentration of industrial activity in the southern quadrant of the Metropolitan City of Rome. There are no mining of minerals in the territory Albanense, but in Roman times, peperino was mined and known as lapis Albanus, since this particular type of stone is found mainly on the shores of Lake Albano. Despite the historic city of Albano situated on a flow of lava stone, the extraction of this stone has never been a thriving, unlike what happened in neighbouring Ariccia and Marino.
Finally, companies that operate in the construction industry were 209: this sector given the large urban expansion in Albano in recent decades has been steadily growing, as demonstrated by the data on the licensing of builders.
The town of Albano Laziale is historically subject to a difficult situation in terms of water supply: the lack of important sources of water has forced the municipality since the 17th century to use water from the nearby territories Ariccia and Nemi. In recent management of water supply was the responsibility of the municipality of Albano Laziale, who in 1994 made it known that on a global consumption of 137 litres of water per second, 102 were from wells located within the municipal area, 6 from source of Nemi and 29 by the water of the Consortium of Simbrivio the following year, water consumption had risen to 146 litres per second and the extraction wells was increased to 116 litres. Since 2008 the water service is managed by the municipal company of the City of Rome.
Albano has considerable tourism potential, which have been stepped up in recent years, due to the archaeological Castra Albana, the natural beauty of the Colle dei Cappuccini and the shores of Lake Albano.
The soccer team the city has historically Alba Longa, which after merging with other teams in Albalonga Pol was able to land in Series D Since 2001 the Alba Longa, colours are white and blue.
There is also a town representative in soccer 5, Albalonga Football 5. Albano is represented in volleyball by the Albalonga Volleyball Club. In terms of basketball, Albano's Albano Basketball Club team militates in Series D.
In fencing, the town of Albano has its own representation. Besides the Institute equal Leonardo Murialdo school's fencing, the village of Cecchina is active in the local school of fencing, and is currently at the design stage of the formation of Cecchina S. S. Dodge.
Public transport is provided by the region's COTRAL bus lines, with regular bus connections to and from Rome. There is nearby train service directly to Stazione di Roma Termini from Albano Laziale.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Albano Laziale.|