Almyros or Halmyros (Greek: Αλμυρός, Almirós, [almiˈros], lit.'salty') is a town and a municipality of the regional unit of Magnesia, region of Thessaly, Greece. It lies in the center of prosperous fertile plain known as 'Krokio Pedio', which is crossed by torrents. Almyros is an important agricultural and commercial center of Magnesia, and is also developing as a tourist center for the area. The main agricultural products are tomatoes, cotton, wheat, almonds, peanuts and pistachio nuts.
Almyros municipality (red and pink) and municipal unit (red)
The history of Almyros begins with the ancient city of Alos (about 10 km [6.2 mi] south of Almyros), the ruins of which can still be visited. Alos was a very important and populous town, famous for its port and for its role in the Persian Wars. After the Byzantine Empire, because of pirate raids, they built the town in the place that it is today.
In 1838, the settlement was described as being "a Turkish town, situated on the western coast of the Pagasitic Gulf, half an hour's journey inland, on the Plain of Krokios, and consisting of some 300 dwellings. It is chiefly inhabited by Turks, with only a few Christian settlers, who cultivate the lands of the Turks residing there". The Ottoman Empire ceded most of Thessaly in 1881, followed by development and repopulation by Greeks.
In 1980 a catastrophic magnitude 6.5 earthquake destroyed most of the town.
The municipality Almyros was formed at the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the following 4 former municipalities, that became municipal units:
The municipality has an area of 905.4 km2 (349.6 sq mi), the municipal unit 473.940 km2 (183 sq mi).
The municipal unit of Almyros is divided into the following communities: Almyros, Efxeinoupoli, Anthotopos, Kokkotoi, Kroki, Kofoi, Platanos, and Fylaki.
The province of Almyros (Greek: Επαρχία Αλμυρού) was one of the provinces of Magnesia. It had the same territory as the present municipality. It was abolished in 2006.
The Archaeological Museum of Almyros includes local artifacts and exhibits from the Neolithic period, through Mycenean, Geometric, Classical, Hellenistic periods, and later Roman years. Opposite the museum is the old High School, the Gymnasium of Almyros, which is a classic monumental building from the beginning of the 20th century. The Museum and Gymnasium are the oldest buildings in the area.
The Kouri forest, about 2 km from the town of Almyros, at an elevation of 75 m (246 ft), encompasses 108 ha (266.9 acres) of lowland oak forest. The forest is flat (elevation gradient is less than 2%). Oaks belong to the species: Quercus pubescens, Quercus aegilops, Quercus pedunculiflora. There are footpaths, as well as a miniature train for a brief tour through the woods and over small bridges.
South of the town are the moderately wooded Othrys mountains. 17 km (10.6 mi) from the town of Almyros but still in Almyros province, high in the Othrys mountains, is the 12th century Monastery of Panagia Xenia, with wall paintings, treasuries, and a library.
There are several sandy beaches in the municipality of Almyros.
Almyros is situated near the western end of the Pagasetic Gulf, 25 km (15.5 mi) southwest of Volos. Motorway 1 (Athens – Thessaloniki) passes east of the town Almyros.
^Drakos, A. G.; Stiros, S. C.; Kiratzi, A. A. (2001), "Fault Parameters of the 1980 (Mw 6.5) Volos, Central Greece, Earthquake from Inversion of Repeated Leveling Data", Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Seismological Society of America, 91 (6): 1673–1684, Bibcode:2001BuSSA..91.1673D, doi:10.1785/0120000232
^"Ανάλυση και αξιολόγηση του "Κουρί" Αλμυρού Μαγνησίας : αειφορικός σχεδιασμός και διαχείριση του τοπίου της πολιτισμικής μας κληρονομιάς". Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Institutional Repository – IKEE. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
^Kouri Almyrou Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine Hellenic Republic Ministry of Tourism. Retrieved 2007-07-12.
^Magnesia Greece, History and Christianity Pelion. Thegreektravel.com (commercial website). Retrieved 2007-07-12.