|Vareš, Bosnia and Herzegovina|
Picture of restored royal chapel at Bobovac, consisting of chapel, mausoleum and burial chamber.
|Built by||Stjepan II Kotromanić|
The city was built during the reign of Stephen II, Ban of Bosnia, and was first mentioned in a document dating from 1349. It shared the role of seat of the rulers of Bosnia with Kraljeva Sutjeska, however Bobovac was much better fortified than the other.
Bobovac is now a protected cultural site. HKD Napredak releases a monthly magazine called Bobovac.
The crown jewels of Bosnia were held in Bobovac. The royal chapel consisted the burial chamber for several Bosnian kings and queens. Nine skeletons have been found in the five tombs located in the mausoleum. The identified skeletons belong to kings Dabiša, Ostoja, Ostojić, Tvrtko II and Thomas. It is assumed that one of the remaining skeletons belongs to the last king, Tomašević, decapitated in Jajce on the order of Mehmed the Conqueror. Only one of the skeletons, found next to that of King Tvrtko II, is female and assumed to belong to Tvrtko II's wife, Queen Dorothy.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bobovac.|