Chernigov Governorate

Summary

The Chernigov Governorate (Russian: Черниговская губерния; translit.: Chernigovskaya guberniya; Ukrainian: Чернігівська губернія, romanizedChernihivska huberniia), also known as the Government of Chernigov, was a guberniya in the historical Left-bank Ukraine region of the Russian Empire, which was officially created in 1802 from the Malorossiya Governorate with an administrative centre of Chernihiv. The Little Russian Governorate was transformed into the General Government of Little Russia and consisted of Chernigov Governorate, Poltava Governorate, and later Kharkov Governorate.

Chernigov Governorate
Черниговская губернія
Governorate of Russian Empire (1802–1917), and Ukrainian People's Republic (1917–1918)
1802–1918
Coat of arms of Chernigov
Coat of arms
Chernihiv governorate map 1903.jpg
Chernigov Governorate 1903
CapitalChernigov
Area 
• (1897)
52,396 km2 (20,230 sq mi)
Population 
• (1897)
2298000
History
History 
• Established
27 February 1802
• Disestablished
1 August 1918
Political subdivisionsuezds: 15
Preceded by
Succeeded by
Little Russia Governorate (1796–1802)
Chernihiv Governorate
Today part ofChernihiv Oblast
Kyiv Oblast
Bryansk Oblast
Chernigov Governorate map

Chernigov Governorate borders are roughly consistent with the modern Chernihiv Oblast, but also included a large section of Sumy Oblast and smaller sections of the Kyiv Oblast of Ukraine, in addition to most of the Bryansk Oblast, Russia.

Administrative divisionEdit

The governorate consisted of 15 uyezds (their administrative centres in brackets):

The Chernigov Governorate covered a total area of 52,396 km², and had a population of 2,298,000, according to the 1897 Russian Empire census. In 1914, the population was 2,340,000. In 1918 it became part of Ukraine and transformed into Chernihiv Governorate.

Principal citiesEdit

  • Russian Census of 1897
  • Nezhin – 32,113 (Ukrainian – 21,733, Jewish – 7,578, Russian – 2,366)
  • Chernigov – 27,716 (Ukrainian – 10,085, Jewish – 8,780, Russian – 7,985)
  • Konotop – 18,770 (Ukrainian – 10,290, Jewish – 4,415, Russian – 3,565)
  • Novozybkov – 15,362 (Russian – 11,055, Jewish – 3,787, Belorussian – 303)
  • Glukhov – 14,828 (Ukrainian – 8,621, Jewish – 3,837, Russian – 2,217)
  • Borzna – 12,526 (Ukrainian – 10,846, Jewish – 1,515, Russian – 109)
  • Starodub – 12,381 (Russian – 7,255, Jewish – 4,897, Ukrainian – 133)
  • Krolevets – 10,384 (Ukrainian – 8,328, Jewish – 1,815, Russian – 209)
  • Berezna – 9,922 (Ukrainian – 8,349, Jewish – 1,354, Russian – 144)
  • Novgorod-Seversky – 9,182 (Ukrainian – 4,884, Jewish – 2,941, Russian – 1,296)
  • Mglin – 7,640 (Russian – 4,840, Jewish – 2,675, Belorussian – 75)
  • Sosnytsia – 7,087 (Ukrainian – 5,068, Jewish – 1,840, Russian – 158)
  • Korop – 6,262 (Ukrainian – 5,309, Jewish – 865, Russian – 77)
  • Oster – 5,370 (Ukrainian – 3,229, Jewish – 1,596, Russian – 399)
  • Kozelets – 5,141 (Ukrainian – 2,834, Jewish – 1,632, Russian – 468)
  • Pogar – 4,965 (Russian – 3,800, Jewish – 1,159, Germans – 6)
  • Gorodnya – 4,310 (Ukrainian – 2,349, Jewish – 1,248, Russian – 604)
  • Surazh – 4,006 (Jewish – 2,400, Belorussian – 978, Russian – 559)
  • Novoye Mesto – 1,488 (Russian – 1,421, Jewish – 67)

LanguageEdit

 
Imperial census of 1897.
  • By the Imperial census of 1897.[2] In bold are languages spoken by more people than the state language.

See alsoEdit

References and notesEdit

  1. ^ Генеральная карта Черниговской губерніи Съ показаніемъ почтовыхъ и большихъ проъзжихъ дорогъ, станціи и разстоянія между оными верстъ – Ст. Петербургъ, 1829. (in Russian) (Page title read as: "General map of the Chernihiv province. St. Petersburg, 1829.")
  2. ^ Language Statistics of 1897 Archived 22 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine (in Russian)
  3. ^ Languages, number of speakers which in all gubernia were less than 1000

External linksEdit

  • Chernigov Guberniya – Article in Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary (in Russian)
  • Chernigov Governorate – Historical coat of arms (in Ukrainian and English)
  • Chernihiv gubernia – Article in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine

Coordinates: 51°30′00″N 31°18′00″E / 51.5000°N 31.3000°E / 51.5000; 31.3000