The Church of Alexandria in Egypt is the Christian Church headed by the Patriarch of Alexandria. It is one of the original Apostolic Sees of Christianity, alongside Rome, Antioch, Constantinople and Jerusalem.
Today, three churches claim to be direct heirs of the original Church of Alexandria:
- The Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria, an Oriental Orthodox church
- The Eastern Orthodox Church of Alexandria, also known as the Greek Orthodox Church of Alexandria, part of the wider Eastern Orthodox Church
- The Coptic Catholic Church, one of 23 Eastern Catholic churches who are in full communion with the Catholic Church led by the Pope, the Bishop of Rome
Formerly, also the Latin Patriarchate of Alexandria did so.
- Catholic Encyclopedia, "Church of Alexandria", accessed 11-17-2015
- The Catholic Encyclopedia Online: The Church of Alexandria
|This article on a Catholic church building is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|