|Condon Air Force Station|
|Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)|
Location of Condon AFS, Oregon
|Type||Air Force Station|
|Code||ADC ID: P-32, NORAD ID: Z-32|
|Controlled by||United States Air Force|
|Garrison||636th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron|
Condon AFS was one of twenty-eight stations built as part of the second segment of the Air Defense Command permanent radar network. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary's approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.
The 636th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was assigned to the station on 15 August 1951, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. By 1952 the squadron was operating AN/FPS-3 search and AN/FPS-4 height-finder radars at Condon. These sets were replaced in 1957 and 1958 with AN/FPS-20 and AN/FPS-6 radars. In 1959 a second height-finder radar came with the installation of an AN/FPS-6A.
During 1960 Condon AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, feeding data to DC-15 at Larson AFB, Washington. After joining, the squadron was redesignated as the 636th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 8 September 1960. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 to the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction, altitude, speed, and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile. The AN/FPS-20 subsequently was upgraded in 1961 and redesignated as an AN/FPS-66. On 31 July 1963, the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-32.
The Air Force inactivated the 636th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 30 September 1970 as a result of budget restrictions, and the general phase down of air defense radar stations. Most of the site has been redeveloped for commercial use, the housing area being used as single-family homes.