Derocher Peninsula

Summary

Derocher Peninsula (71°25′S 73°20′W / 71.417°S 73.333°W / -71.417; -73.333Coordinates: 71°25′S 73°20′W / 71.417°S 73.333°W / -71.417; -73.333) is a snow-covered peninsula between Brahms Inlet and Mendelssohn Inlet on the north side of Beethoven Peninsula, Alexander Island, Antarctica. It was photographed from the air by the Ronne Antarctic Research Expedition, 1947–48, and mapped from these photographs by D. Searle of the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey (FIDS), 1960. It was named by the Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names after Commander Paul J. Derocher, U.S. Navy, commanding officer, Antarctic Development Squadron Six (VXE-6), May 1985 to May 1986.[1] Derocher Peninsula is one of the eight peninsulas of Alexander Island.

See also

References

  1. ^ "Derocher Peninsula". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2012-01-12.

Public Domain This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Geological Survey document: "Derocher Peninsula". (content from the Geographic Names Information System)