Duchesse Anne permanently moored in Dunkirk
|Name:||Großherzogin Elisabeth (Grand Duchess Elisabeth)|
|Builder:||Johann C. Tecklenborg, Bremerhaven|
|Launched:||7 March 1901|
|Fate:||Handed over to France as a war reparation, August 15, 1946|
|Namesake:||Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
|Acquired:||15 August 1946|
|Length:||92 m (302 ft)|
|Beam:||11.9 m (39 ft)|
|Draft:||5.45 m (17.9 ft)|
|Notes:||Sail area: 2,060 m²|
Duchesse Anne (formerly called Großherzogin Elisabeth) is the last remaining full-rigged ship under French flag. She was built in 1901 with a steel hull by the yard of Joh. C. Tecklenborg of Bremerhaven-Geestemünde (Germany) according to plans drawn by Georg W. Claussen. The mainmast is 48 m tall and 25 sails were rigged. She was used as a training ship for young aspiring sailors in the German merchant marine.
The ship was handed over to France as war reparations after World War II and renamed Duchesse Anne. The ship has been classified a historical monument since 5 November 1982.
Several other training windjammers of the German "Deutscher Schulschiff-Verein" also survive to this day:
- Dar Pomorza (originally Prinzess Eitel Friedrich)
- Schulschiff Deutschland
- Statsraad Lehmkuhl (originally Großherzog Friedrich August)
- "Site officiel de la Ville de Dunkerque: La Duchesse Anne". Ville de Dunkerque. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
|This article about a specific civilian ship or boat is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|