M312 Sulev Port Side Lennusadam Tallinn 14 July 2013.JPG
EML Sulev (M312)
History
Germany
Name: Lindau
Operator: German Navy
Builder: Burmeister-Werft Bremen-Burg, Germany
Launched: 16 February 1957
Commissioned: 24 April 1958
Decommissioned: 19 October 2000
Fate: Sold to Estonia
Estonia
Name: Sulev
Operator: Estonian Navy
Acquired: December 2000
Decommissioned: 26 March 2009
Motto: Certum Est
Badge: ENS Sulev vapp.jpg
General characteristics
Class and type: Lindau class minehunter
Displacement: 495 tons full
Length: 47.1 m
Beam: 8.3 m
Draught: 3.7 m
Propulsion:
  • 2 shafts propulsors
  • diesel drives
  • 2 × 1470 kW Maybach MD 871 um/1-D drives
  • 5 × 70 kW diesel drives RHS 518 Dn 5
Speed: 16.5 knots
Range: 1,360 km (730 nmi; 850 mi)
Complement: 6 officers, 31 sailors
Crew: 37
Sensors and
processing systems:
  • Navigation radar
  • Hull-mounted DSQS-11 mine-detection sonar
Armament:
Notes:
  • Mine counter measures equipment:
  • 2 × ECA PAP 104 Mk.5 remotely controlled submarines (ROV) with explosives
  • contact-sweeper

EML Sulev (M312) was a Lindau-class minehunter of the Estonian Navy Mineships Division.

Introduction

The minehunter Sulev was part of the Estonian Navy Mineships Division and also the second modernized Lindau-class minehunter. A cross-bow is on the coat of arms of the vessel which was also a friend of Kalevipoeg Sulev's son weapon. The ships motto is in Latin "Certum Est" which means in English "Secure it is". The coat of arms was designed by Priit Herodes. In August 2001 on the 5th Kuressaare naval day a cooperation contract was signed between the Kuressaare city council and the minehunter Sulev which gave the vessel a right to wear the Kuressaare town coat of arms and to introduce the city in all foreign harbors across the world.

History

The Sulev (M312) was built in the Burmester shipyard in Bremen, West Germany. The vessel was launched on 16 February 1957 and she entered service a year later on 24 April 1958. She was to become the first German naval ship built since the end of the Second World War in Germany. The ship's name comes from a city called Lindau in Germany and marks also the minehunter class name which has in total of 18 vessels. Originally Lindau was a minesweeper but was transformed into a minehunter in late 1970s. The German Navy decommissioned Lindau and one of her sister ships Cuxhaven on 9 October 2003 and gave the vessels to the Estonian Navy to operate. On the ceremony the vessel received an Estonian name Sulev.[1] Estonian Navy decommissioned Sulev on 26 March 2009.

References

  1. ^ http://www.mil.ee/?menu=merevagi&sisu=sulev ENS Sulev (M312)

External links

Wikimedia Atlas of Estonia

  • Estonian Navy