Engineering technician


An engineering technician is a professional trained in skills and techniques related to a specific branch of technology, with a practical understanding of the relevant engineering concepts.[1] Engineering technicians often assist engineers and engineering technologists in projects relating to research and development, or focus on post-development activities like implementation or operation. An engineering technician is between a skilled craft worker and an engineering technologist.

An engineering technician explains instrument readings

The Dublin Accord was signed in 2002 as an international agreement for the recognition of engineering technician qualifications. The Dublin Accord is analogous to the Washington Accord for engineers and the Sydney Accord for engineering technologists.

Nature of workEdit

Engineering technicians help solve technical problems in many ways. They build or set up equipment, conduct experiments, collect data and calculate results. They might also help to make a model of new equipment. Some technicians work in quality control, where they check products, do tests, and collect data. In manufacturing, they help to design and develop products. They also find ways to produce things efficiently. There are multiple fields in this job such as; software design, repair, etc.[2] They may also be people who produce technical drawings or engineering drawings.

Engineering technicians are responsible for using the theories and principles of science, engineering, and mathematics in order to solve problems and come up with solutions in the research, design, development, manufacturing, sales, construction, inspection, and maintenance of systems and products.[3] Engineering technicians help engineers and scientists in researching and developing, while some other engineering technicians may be responsible for inspections, quality control, and processes which may include conducting tests and data collection.[3]


Engineering technician diplomas and 2-year degrees are generally offered by technical schools and non-university higher education institutions like colleges of further education, industrial schools, and community colleges. Many 4-year colleges and universities offer bachelor's degrees in engineering technology but engineering technologists are somewhat different from engineering technicians.[4]

In some countries, there are polytechnic institutes that award the title without explicitly conferring the degree.

In Portugal and Spain, the title of engenharia técnica / ingeniería técnica, literally "technical engineering", is used for the professionals who were awarded a short-cycle 3 to 4-year undergraduate degree (associate degree or bachelor's degree) in a technical engineering field by colleges or technical engineering institutes in the case of Portugal, and universities in Spain. Spanish "technical engineers" have full competency in their respective professional fields of engineering, being the difference that the three or four-year Engineers have competence only in their specialty (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, etc.)and the "Engineering Superior School" Engineers have wider competences.

In the United States, the engineering technology accreditation commission (ETAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) grants 2-year associate degree programs to students that meet a set of specified standards. These programs include at least a college algebra and trigonometry course and if needed, one or two basic science courses at any accredited school. The number of math and science prerequisite courses depends on the branch of engineering that the student chooses.

Engineering technicians apply scientific and engineering skills usually gained in postsecondary programs below the bachelor's degree level or through short-cycle bachelor's degrees. However, some university institutions award undergraduate degrees in the field of engineering which may confer the title of Engineering technician to the student, who is, however, eligible to become a fully chartered engineer after further studies at the master's degree level. Engineering technicians are called professional engineers in the UK only.[citation needed]


Even though the term engineering technician is used throughout, it is mindful that these roles are often termed differently within the specific jurisdictions. It also includes roles such as; certified or professional technician, which may also be called engineering associates.[5]


The individual professional title Certified Technician and post-nominal C.Tech. are protected by provincial legislation and can only be used by registrants certified by engineering and applied science member organizations. The nine provincial professional associations are unified federally through Technology Professionals Canada, which advocates for the profession within the provincial associations and respective regulatory bodies.

United KingdomEdit

In the United Kingdom, the term Engineering Technician and post-nominal EngTech are protected in civil law, and can only be used by technicians registered with the Engineering Council UK.[6]

See alsoEdit


  1. ^ US Department of Labor job Description
  2. ^ Engineering Technician
  3. ^ a b Occupational outlook handbook 2006-2007. United States. Department of Labor. (2006-2007 ed.). Indianapolis, Ind.: Jist Works. 2006. ISBN 1-59357-248-4. OCLC 63787406.{{cite book}}: CS1 maint: others (link)
  4. ^ "Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technicians". Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. Retrieved November 15, 2014.
  5. ^ "About THE DUBLIN ACCORD". International Engineering Alliance. Retrieved May 1, 2020.
  6. ^ "Engineering Council - Professional Titles". The Engineering Council. Retrieved October 28, 2019.

External linksEdit

  • List of tasks and requirements for mechanical engineering technicians
  • Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) UK
  • The Engineering Technician Forum on LinkedIn