On 1 April 2006 Expeditionary Air Wings (EAWs) were formed at nine of the RAF's Main Operating Bases. Each EAW has its own identity and is led by the Station Commander, supported by his Station management team. The deployable elements of the station structures form the core of each EAW, reinforced by elements of the Air Combat Service Support Units (ACSSUs). Flying and Force Protection force elements are attached to meet the requirements of each operation. EAWs enable the RAF to train as cohesive air power units which are prepared and capable of transitioning quickly from peacetime structures and deploying swiftly on operations in tailored packages.
Previously as a Middle Eastern EAW it comprised "A" Flight, at a not-publicly known location, flying Lockheed Hercules C4; "B" Flight (unknown location, reformed in 2013 as unknown) flying the Boeing C-17A Globemaster III; and "C" Flight (disbanded March 2015) at Bahrain International Airport flying a mix of BAe125s and BAe146s from No. 32 (The Royal) Squadron.
During the Second World War, No. 901 Wing formed part of No. 224 Group RAF, Third Tactical Air Force. It was formed on 1 October 1944 at Chiringa in British India. At the time of its formation, 901 Wing consisted of two Squadrons: 177 and 211 Squadron, both of which flew Bristol Beaufighter twin-engined fighter-bombers. The Wing was renamed No 901 (Tactical) Wing with effect from 1 December 1944. The Wing continued to operate up to four squadrons equipped with Beaufighters and de Havilland Mosquitoes during 1944-45.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Expeditionary Air Wing.|