Artist's concept of the Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway orbiting the Moon with the Orion spacecraft on the right.
|Mission type||Near-Rectilinear Halo Orbit (NRHO)|
|Mission duration||16-26 days|
|Spacecraft type||Orion MPCV|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||2024 (planned)|
|Rocket||SLS Block 1B|
|Launch site||Kennedy LC-39B|
|End of mission|
|Landing site||Pacific Ocean|
Artemis 3 (previously the Exploration Mission-3, or EM-3), is a planned 2024 mission of the Space Launch System and second crewed mission of NASA's Orion spacecraft. The intended goal of the mission is to send four astronauts into a near-rectilinear halo orbit around the Moon. It would also deliver the ESPRIT and U.S. Utilization modules to the proposed Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway (LOP-G).
The Artemis 3 mission plan is to send four astronauts in the second Orion capsule into a near-rectilinear halo orbit around the Moon for a maximum of 26 days. It would also deliver two more elements of the proposed Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway (LOP-G), a small space station in lunar orbit. The LOP-G components would be ESPRIT and the U.S. Utilization Module. Missions 3 through 8 would complete the assembly of the Lunar Gateway. As of May 2019, Artemis 3 may become the first human landing on the Moon since Apollo 17, with the accelerated timeline proposed by the 2020 NASA budget.
- Proposed SLS and Orion missions
- STS-88, comparable Space Shuttle mission
- Apollo 11, comparable Apollo mission
- Gebhardt, Chris (22 September 2017). "SLS EM-1 & -2 launch dates realign; EM-3 gains notional mission outline". NASASpaceFlight.com. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- Davis, Jason (6 September 2018). "Orion's third flight will haul two pieces of a space station to lunar orbit". The Planetary Society. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Sloss, Philip. "NASA evaluates EM-2 launch options for Deep Space Gateway PPE". Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- Sloss, Philip (11 September 2017). "NASA updates Lunar Gateway plans". NASASpaceFlight.com. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- Godwin, Curt (1 April 2017). "NASA's human spaceflight plans come into focus with announcement of Deep Space Gateway". Spaceflight Insider. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- Chris Gebhardt (22 September 2015). "SLS manifest options aim for Phobos prior to 2039 Mars landing". NASASpaceFlight.com. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "NASA Announces Progress on Asteroid Initiative | NASA". Nasa.gov. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- Orion website at NASA.gov
- Space Launch System website at NASA.gov