|Name||Eye of the Wind|
|Operator||FORUM train & sail GmbH|
|Builder||C. H. Lühring Werft, Brake, Germany|
|Renamed||1911 - 1924 Friedrich, 1924 - 1926 Sam, 1926 - 1955 Merry, 1955 - 1960s Rose Marie, 1960s - 1973 Merry, 1973 Eye of the Wind|
|Length||40.23 m (132 ft) (LOA)|
|Beam||7.01 m (23 ft)|
|Draft||2.70 m (9 ft)|
|Propulsion||Sail, engine: 600 HP|
Friedrich was initially used as a schooner for the South American hide trade. In 1923 she was registered in Sweden, under the name Merry, and was used for transport in the Baltic and North seas and for fishing herring off the coast of Iceland during summer. In 1969, then stripped of her masts and sailing as a motor vessel, she was severely damaged in a fire that almost destroyed her.
In 1973 a group of sailing enthusiasts, including Anthony "Tiger" Timbs, who later became her Master, began rebuilding her at Faversham, England. In this restoration she was re-rigged as a brigantine by Master Rigger Wally Buchanan. After the restoration was completed she was given the name Eye of the Wind, inspired by Sir Peter Scott's 1961 book. In October 1976 she set sail for Australia, the first voyage since the restoration, three years and eight months after her purchase by the new owners.
While under the care of Tiger Timbs the ship was commissioned for several film roles. During the filming of Tai-Pan, the film producers fitted her with a set of tan sails in order to be able to play two different ships. The tan sails were retained after filming.
In 2001, she was taken over by a new owner and registered in Gilleleje, Denmark. Her interior underwent substantial renovations. Also, the new owners decided to call her rig a brig. This was only a change of naming, the rig remained the same since the filming of Tai Pan. Again in 2009 she found a new owner with the Forum Media Group, Germany.
Eye of the Wind has been used for several film and television roles.