The aircraft was designed by Kreider-Reisner during negotiations by Sherman Fairchild to take a major share in the company. Marketed as the Fairchild 22 Model C7 the aircraft was certified in March 1931. The Fairchild 22 was a mixed-construction, braced parasol-wing monoplane with a fixed tailwheel landing gear and a braced tail unit. It had two tandem open cockpits and was initially powered by an 80 hp (60 kW) Armstrong Siddeley Genet radial engine. After test flying the prototype the first production aircraft were re-engined with a 75 hp (56 kW) Michigan Rover inverted inline engine. The aircraft was fitted with both inline and radial piston engines.
Powered by a 75hp Michigan Rover four-cylinder inverted inline piston engine (13 built)
Powered by a 95hp Cirrus Hi-Drive four-cylinder inverted inline piston engine (58 built).
Powered by a 125hp Menasco C-4 Pirate four-cylinder inverted inline piston engine (eight built).
Fairchild Model C7D
Powered by a 90hp Wright Gipsy four-cylinder upright inline piston engine (one C-7C and 22 C-7D built).
Powered by a 125hp Warner Scarab seven-cylinder radial piston engine (11 built).
Aerobatic version, powered by a 145hp Warner Super Scarab seven-cylinder radial piston engine (six built).
XR2K-1 at Langley
Military designation for one Scarab powered Model 22 impressed into service and used by NACA.
Experimentally designed wing added to the 1933 Fairchild 22 owned by Charles Townsend Ludington under the Ludington-Griswold Incorporated company, Saybrook, CT. Test flown in 1944, the wing had a series of flaps and wing tip fins. The design proved disappointing and the airplane was later sold.