Feltre (Venetian: Fèltre) is a town and comune of the province of Belluno in Veneto, northern Italy. A hill town in the southern reaches of the province, it is located on the Stizzon River, about 4 kilometres (2 miles) from its junction with the Piave, and 20 km (12 mi) southwest from Belluno. The Dolomites loom to the north of the town.
|Comune di Feltre|
Location of Feltre in Italy
|• Mayor||Paolo Perenzin (PD)|
|• Total||100 km2 (40 sq mi)|
|Elevation||325 m (1,066 ft)|
(December 31, 2007)
|• Density||210/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Saints Victor and Corona|
|Saint day||May 14|
An area incorporating Feltre and 12 contiguous municipalities is known as Feltrino. In 2014, the Feltrino area was formalised in the Unione Montana Feltrina (Feltrino Mountain Community).
It was known in Roman times as Feltria and described as an oppidum by Pliny, who assigned its foundation to the Alpine tribe of the Rhaetians. The city obtained the status of municipium in 49 BC with its citizens inscribed into the Roman tribe of Menenia. In spite of its rigorous climate, which led a Roman author, perhaps Caesar, to write:
Feltria perpetuo niveum damnata rigore
Atque mihi posthac haud adeunda, vale
After the fall of the Western Empire, under which it had developed into a flourishing city, it became a Lombard dominion. Later in the Middle Ages, it was ruled by Ezzelino III da Romano, by the Camino family, and then by the Scaligeri of Verona, from 1315 to 1337. Feltre was subsequently under Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor, the da Carrara and the Visconti until 1404, when, together with Belluno, it was conquered by the Republic of Venice. In 1499 it received a new line of walls.
In 1509 the center of the town was mostly destroyed during battles between the Venetians and the League of Cambrai, and later rebuilt with a characteristic 16th-century style. In 1797, after the capitulation of Venice to Napoleon, it was ruled for some time by the French. Napoleon made his minister of war, Henri Jacques Guillaume Clarke, Duke of Feltre in 1807. After the Congress of Vienna (1814), Feltre was assigned to the Austrian Empire, to which it remained until it was joined to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.
During World War II, Adolf Hitler demanded a meeting with Benito Mussolini to discuss his strategy for defending Italy from the Allied Armies since the Axis armies had just surrendered Tunis to the British Army, giving Allied Armies total control of North Africa. This meeting took place on July 19, 1943 in Feltre, Italy.
Notable people of Feltre include printer Panfilo Castaldi, Friar Minor, missionary and founder of Monti di Pietà Blessed Bernardine of Feltre, humanist educator Vittorino da Feltre and painter Morto da Feltre.
Outside the city are:
Anzù, Arson, Canal, Cart, Cellarda, Croci, Farra, Foen, Grum, Lamen, Lasen, Mugnai, Nemeggio, Pont, Pren, Sanzan, Tomo, Umin, Vellai, Vignui, Villabruna, Villaga, Villapaiera, Zermen.
Historical Centre; view from via Panoramica.
View of via Roma.
View to the Dolomites from via Tezze.
the Duomo of Feltre.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Feltre.|