A post office called Florence was established in 1884, and remained in operation until 1949. The community was platted in 1866 and named after the love interest of an early postmaster.
During its heyday, Florence had several hotels, bars and restaurants, as well as a stagecoach line and dock for sternwheelers. Florence eventually lost out to nearby Stanwood as the area's main center of commerce.
^U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Florence, Washington
^"Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Archived from the original on 6 March 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
^Meany, Edmond S. Origin of Washington geographic names. Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 87.
^Whitely, Peyton (June 9, 2004). "Restoration to bring a little of community "back to life"". The Seattle Times. p. H16. Retrieved April 24, 2017.