|Archbishop of Peć and Serbian Patriarch|
|Church||Serbian Patriarchate of Peć|
|See||Patriarchal Monastery of Peć|
|Nationality||Rum Millet (Serbian)|
|Denomination||Eastern Orthodox Church|
|Occupation||Spiritual leader of the Serbian Orthodox Church|
Before he became Serbian Patriarch, he was Metropolitan of Niš, under Serbian patriarch Atanasije II. When Atanasije died in 1752, Serbian patriarchal throne was taken by Metropolitan of Dabar-Bosnia Gavrilo Mihailović who also died soon after returning from Constantinople in the autumn of the same year, struck by sudden illness. Before death, he made succession arrangements with metropolitan Gavrilo Nikolić, who was elected new Serbian Patriarch as Gavrilo III. In following years, Serbian Patriarchate of Peć was in constant internal turmoil, accompanied by worsening financial crisis and huge debts. Between 1755 and 1758, Gavrilo III was challenged by rivals and finally lost the patriarchal throne, but in 1761, a group of Serbian bishops and other ecclesiastical leaders who met in Niš tried to bring him back, without final success.
- Ćirković, Sima (2004). The Serbs. Malden: Blackwell Publishing.
- Fotić, Aleksandar (2008). "Serbian Orthodox Church". Encyclopedia of the Ottoman Empire. New York: Infobase Publishing. pp. 519–520.
- Kašić, Dušan, ed. (1965). Serbian Orthodox Church: Its past and present. 1. Belgrade: Serbian Orthodox Church.
- Pavlovich, Paul (1989). The History of the Serbian Orthodox Church. Serbian Heritage Books.
- Слијепчевић, Ђоко М. (1962). Историја Српске православне цркве (History of the Serbian Orthodox Church). књ. 1. Минхен: Искра.
- Вуковић, Сава (1996). Српски јерарси од деветог до двадесетог века (Serbian Hierarchs from the 9th to the 20th Century). Београд: Евро.
- Љ. Дурковић- Јакшић: „Покушај Црквене конференције у Нишу 1761. да поврати патријарха Гаврила III на пећки престо,“ у: Зборник Православног богословског факултета II, Београд 1951, 135- 139.
- Official site of the Serbian Orthodox Church: Serbian Archbishops and Patriarchs
|Eastern Orthodox Church titles|
| Metropolitan of Niš
| Serbian Patriarch