|Ordered:||7 August 1942|
|Laid down:||2 February 1943|
|Launched:||21 March 1944|
|Commissioned:||22 April 1944|
|Fate:||Wrecked, 3 May 1945, later broken up|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||Type XVIIA submarine|
|Length:||36.60 m (120 ft 1 in) o/a|
|Draught:||4.55 m (14 ft 11 in)|
U-795 was laid down on 2 February 1943 at the Friedrich Krupp Germaniawerft shipyard at Kiel. Commissioned on 21 March 1944, the U-boat was commissioned on 22 April 1944 under the command of Oberleutnant zur See Horst Selle. She served with 8th U-boat Flotilla until 15 February as a training boat, and then with 5th U-boat Flotilla until 3 May 1945.
On 3 May 1945, while in dry dock at Kiel, the engine room was destroyed with explosives to prevent its usefulness to the enemy if captured.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "The Type XVIIA boat U-795". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 22 December 2009.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Type XVIIA Walter boats". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 21 December 2009.
- "This page contains details on the German U-Boat Type III, Type IV, Type V, Type VI, Type VIII, Type XI, Type XII, Type XIII, XV, XVI, VB60, V80, U-179, XVII". sharkhunters.com. Archived from the original on 24 February 2010. Retrieved 21 December 2009.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (1999). German U-boat commanders of World War II : a biographical dictionary. Translated by Brooks, Geoffrey. London, Annapolis, Md: Greenhill Books, Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-186-6.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (1999). Deutsche U-Boot-Verluste von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [German U-boat losses from September 1939 to May 1945]. Der U-Boot-Krieg (in German). IV. Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn: Mittler. ISBN 3-8132-0514-2.
Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945. 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-593-4.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "The Type XVII boat U-795". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
|This article about a specific naval submarine of Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|