Surrender of U-889 near Shelburne, Nova Scotia, 13 May 1945
|Ordered:||22 September 1942|
|Builder:||DeSchiMAG AG Weser, Bremen|
|Laid down:||13 September 1943|
|Launched:||5 April 1944|
|Commissioned:||4 August 1944|
|Acquired:||14 May 1945|
|Fate:||transferred to the US Navy|
|Class and type:||Type IXC/40 submarine|
|Height:||9.60 m (31 ft 6 in)|
|Draught:||4.67 m (15 ft 4 in)|
|Test depth:||230 m (750 ft)|
|Complement:||4 officers, 44 enlisted|
|Sensors and |
|Identification codes:||M 37 894|
|Operations:||1st patrol: 5 April – 13 May 1945|
German Type IXC/40 submarines were slightly larger than the original Type IXCs. U-Y had a displacement of 1,144 tonnes (1,126 long tons) when at the surface and 1,257 tonnes (1,237 long tons) while submerged. The U-boat had a total length of 76.76 m (251 ft 10 in), a pressure hull length of 58.75 m (192 ft 9 in), a beam of 6.86 m (22 ft 6 in), a height of 9.60 m (31 ft 6 in), and a draught of 4.67 m (15 ft 4 in). The submarine was powered by two MAN M 9 V 40/46 supercharged four-stroke, nine-cylinder diesel engines producing a total of 4,400 metric horsepower (3,240 kW; 4,340 shp) for use while surfaced, two Siemens-Schuckert 2 GU 345/34 double-acting electric motors producing a total of 1,000 shaft horsepower (1,010 PS; 750 kW) for use while submerged. She had two shafts and two 1.92 m (6 ft) propellers. The boat was capable of operating at depths of up to 230 metres (750 ft).
The submarine had a maximum surface speed of 18.3 knots (33.9 km/h; 21.1 mph) and a maximum submerged speed of 7.3 knots (13.5 km/h; 8.4 mph). When submerged, the boat could operate for 63 nautical miles (117 km; 72 mi) at 4 knots (7.4 km/h; 4.6 mph); when surfaced, she could travel 13,850 nautical miles (25,650 km; 15,940 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph). U-Y was fitted with six 53.3 cm (21 in) torpedo tubes (four fitted at the bow and two at the stern), 22 torpedoes, one 10.5 cm (4.13 in) SK C/32 naval gun, 180 rounds, and a 3.7 cm (1.5 in) Flak M42 as well as two twin 2 cm (0.79 in) C/30 anti-aircraft guns. The boat had a complement of forty-eight.
U-889 was mounted with the rare Twin 3.7 cm Flakzwilling M43U on the DLM42 mount. This was one of the best AA weapons used by Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine during World War II. The DLM42 mount was mainly used on the Type IX as it was rather heavy for the Type VII U-boats. The 3.7 cm Flak M42U was the marine version of the 3.7 cm Flak used by the Kriegsmarine on Type VII and Type IX U-boats.
Twin 3.7 cm Flak M42U guns on the DLM 42U mount.
U-889 was fixed with the FuMB-26 Tunis antenne. The FuMB 26 Tunis combined the FuMB Ant. 24 Fliege and FuMB Ant. 25 Cuba II antennas. It could be mounted in either the Direction Finder Antenna Loop and separately on the bridge.
FuMB-26 Tunis radar detection.
U-889 was laid down on 13 September 1943 at the DeSchiMAG AG Weser shipyard in Bremen and was commissioned on 4 August 1944, with Kapitänleutnant (Lieutenant) Friedrich Braeucker (Crew IV/37) as commander. Until 14 March 1945 she was attached to 4th U-boat Flotilla for training. She was then assigned to 33rd U-boat Flotilla, a combat unit based at Flensburg. Her first, and only, active patrol started on 15 March 1945. She sank no vessels before the war ended and subsequently surrendered to a Canadian patrol.
After the German surrender on 8 May 1945, the German High Command ordered all U-boats to surrender. On the afternoon of 10 May, U-889 was spotted south of Newfoundland by a RCAF airplane, steaming at 10 knots and flying a black flag of surrender. The RCAF plane radioed to nearby Western Escort Force W-6 who intercepted the submarine an hour later. U-889 was ordered to head to Bay Bulls, Newfoundland. 24 hours later U-889 was turned over to the frigates HMCS Buckingham and HMCS Inch Arran who escorted her to Shelburne Harbour where she was boarded and Braeucker, her commanding officer, made a formal surrender.
On 14 May 1945, U-889 was commissioned into the RCN and decommissioned in December 1945.
U-889 was one of ten U-boats allocated to the United States as part of the Tripartite Naval Commission sitting in Berlin in November 1945. She sailed to Portsmouth, New Hampshire on 11 January 1946 and experiments were conducted on her special hydrophone gear. She was scuttled at the end of 1947.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to U-889 (submarine, 1944).|