|Namesake:||Eugene F. George|
|Builder:||Boston Navy Yard|
|Laid down:||20 May 1943|
|Launched:||8 July 1943|
|Fate:||Transferred to Royal Navy, 9 October 1943|
|Acquired:||9 October 1943|
|Class and type:||Evarts-class destroyer escort|
|Displacement:||1,400 long tons (1,400 t)|
|Length:||289 ft 6 in (88.24 m)|
|Beam:||35 ft (11 m)|
|Draft:||10 ft (3.0 m)|
|Speed:||19 knots (22 mph; 35 km/h)|
She was assigned to the United Kingdom under the lend-lease on 22 June 1943; launched on 8 July 1943; transferred to the United Kingdom on 9 October 1943; and commissioned in the British Royal Navy as HMS Goodson.
During the remainder of World War II, she served on escort and patrol duty in the Atlantic and along the English coast. She supported the Allied Invasion of Europe at Normandy on 6 June 1944. Damaged 25 June by U-984 commanded by Heinz Sieder, she was returned to the United States Navy on 21 October. On 9 January 1947 she was sold to John Lee of Belfast, Northern Ireland.
|This article about a specific frigate of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|