|Namesake:||Dominion of Newfoundland|
|Builder:||Swan Hunter and Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend|
|Laid down:||9 November 1939|
|Launched:||19 December 1941|
|Commissioned:||21 January 1943|
|Out of service:||Sold to Peruvian Navy on 30 December 1959|
|Name:||BAP Almirante Grau|
|Namesake:||Miguel Grau Seminario|
|Acquired:||30 December 1959|
|Renamed:||Renamed Capitan Quinones on 15 May 1973|
|Reclassified:||Static training ship in 1979|
|General characteristics Post 1951 modernisation|
|Class and type:||Crown Colony-class light cruiser|
|Length:||169.3 m (555 ft)|
|Beam:||18.9 m (62 ft)|
|Draught:||5.3 m (17 ft)|
|Speed:||33 knots (61 km/h)|
|Range:||10,200 nautical miles (18,900 km) at 12 kn (22 km/h)|
|Sensors and |
|Aircraft carried:||Two Supermarine Walrus aircraft (Later removed)|
The hospital ship HMHS Newfoundland was a different ship, although also torpedoed in the Mediterranean in 1943.
Newfoundland was built by Swan Hunter and launched 19 December 1941 by the wife of the then British Minister of Labour, Ernest Bevin. The ship was completed in December 1942 and commissioned the next month.
After commissioning Newfoundland joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron, Home Fleet. Early in 1943 the ship became flagship of the 15th Cruiser Squadron, Mediterranean. On the night of 13/14 July 1943, during Sicily Campaign, she provided effective support for 1st Parachute Brigade helping to secure the Primasole Bridge, linking Catania with Syra.
On 23 July 1943, she was torpedoed by the Italian submarine Ascianghi. Some sources attribute the torpedo to German submarine U-407.  1 crewman was killed in the attack. Her rudder having been blown off, temporary repairs were carried out at Malta. Later, steering by her propellers only, and with the assistance of "jury rigged" sails between her funnels, she steamed to the Boston Navy Yard for major repairs.
In 1944 the ship was re-commissioned for service in the Far East. While at Alexandria an exploding air vessel occurred in one of the torpedoes in the port tubes which caused severe damage and one casualty. The repairs delayed her arrival in the Far East for service with the British Pacific Fleet (BPF). Newfoundland went to New Guinea to support the Australian 6th Division in the Aitape-Wewak campaign. On 14 June 1945, as part of a BPF task group, Newfoundland attacked the Japanese naval base at Truk, in the Caroline Islands during Operation Inmate.
On 6 July Newfoundland left the forward base of Manus in the Admiralty Islands with other ships of the BPF to take part in the Allied campaign against the Japanese home islands. On 9 August she took part in a bombardment of the Japanese city of Kamaishi. Newfoundland was part of a British Empire force which took control of the naval base at Yokosuka.
The ship was present in Tokyo Bay when the Instrument of Surrender was signed aboard the US battleship USS Missouri, on 2 September 1945. Newfoundland was then assigned the task of repatriating British Empire prisoners of war.
She returned to Great Britain in December 1946.
Newfoundland was initially in reserve, and was used as a training ship as part of the stokers' training establishment HMS Imperieuse, before starting a 20-month reconstruction at Plymouth in 1951.  Recommissioned on 5 November 1952, she became flagship of the 4th Cruiser Squadron in the East Indies. The cabinet of Sri Lanka met on board her during the Hartal of 1953. From December 1953 Newfoundland underwent a three-month refit at Singapore before transferring to the Far East Station, shelling Malayan National Liberation Army targets near Penang in June 1954 when on passage to the Far East.
On 31 October 1956, the Egyptian frigate Domiat was cruising South of the Suez Canal in the Red Sea, when Newfoundland encountered her and ordered her to heave to. Aware that Britain and Egypt had just gone to war in the Suez Crisis, Domiat refused and opened fire on the cruiser, causing some damage and casualties. The cruiser, with the destroyer Diana, then returned fire and sank her opponent, rescuing 69 survivors from the wreckage.
Newfoundland then returned to the Far East until paid off to the reserve at Portsmouth on 24 June 1959. She was sold to the Peruvian Navy on 2 November 1959, and subsequently renamed Almirante Grau and then to Capitán Quiñones in 1973. The cruiser was hulked in 1979 and used as a static training ship in Callao, before being decommissioned and scrapped later that year.
- "The Rev Prebendary Vere Hodge – obituary". Daily Telegraph. 22 December 2013. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Capt. Reginald Maurice James Hutton (26 July 1943), Operation "Husky" – Letter of Proceedings ADM 1/14477, London: Admiralty
- "Command News: H.M.S.Newfoundland". Portsmouth Navy News (4). September 1954. p. 10. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Colvin R de Silva, Hartal Archived 9 January 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- The War at Sea Archived 12 May 2006 at the Wayback Machine
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Raven, Alan; Roberts, John (1980). British Cruisers of World War Two. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-87021-922-7.
- Rohwer, Jürgen (2005). Chronology of the War at Sea 1939–1945: The Naval History of World War Two (Third Revised ed.). Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-59114-119-2.
- Whitley, M. J. (1995). Cruisers of World War Two: An International Encyclopedia. London: Cassell. ISBN 1-86019-874-0.
- WWII cruisers
- HMS Newfoundland at Uboat.net