Whimbrel during World War II
|Laid down:||31 October 1941|
|Launched:||25 August 1942|
|Commissioned:||13 January 1943|
|Identification:||pennant number U29|
|Fate:||Sold to Egypt November 1949|
|Name:||El Malek Farouq|
|Class and type:||Black Swan-class sloop|
|Length:||299 ft 6 in (91.29 m)|
|Draught:||11 ft (3.4 m)|
|Range:||7,500 nmi (13,900 km) at 12 kn (22 km/h)|
HMS Whimbrel is the last surviving Royal Navy warship present at the Japanese Surrender in World War II. She was a sloop of the Black Swan-class, laid down on 31 October 1941 to the pennant number of U29 at the famed yards of Yarrow Shipbuilders, Scotstoun, Glasgow.
Second World War Service
Launched on 25 August 1942 almost nine months after laying down which was about average for this class of vessel. She was commissioned on 13 January 1943 and was to primarily serve in the Atlantic as part of several escort groups. In 1945 she was sent to the Pacific for the last few months in war being part of the large exodus of ships there. She was present at the Japanese surrender.
A preservation attempt launched in 2006  aimed to bring her to Canning Dock Liverpool as a memorial to those who died on the Atlantic Convoys. On 26 March 2008 a plaque celebrating the ship was presented to the Mayor of Sefton. John Livingston, president of the Liverpool branch of the Whimbrel Project, said: "She’d be a marvellous addition to our waterfront and a reminder of the sacrifice of our seamen". The Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Richard Hands, said: "HMS Whimbrel forms a unique part of both our social and maritime history and I fully support the campaign to bring her back to Liverpool". The attempt stalled when it was not possible to agree a price with the Egyptian Government.
- Blackman, Raymond V B, Jane's Fighting Ships 1963-4, Sampson Low, Marston & Co. Ltd, London, p71
- HMS Whimbrel (1942-49) Battle of the Atlantic Memorial Project
- HMS Whimbrel honoured with special plaque - Liverpool Echo.co.uk
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8. OCLC 67375475.
- Hague, Arnold (1993). Sloops: A History of the 71 Sloops Built in Britain and Australia for the British, Australian and Indian Navies 1926–1946. Kendal, England: World Ship Society. ISBN 0-905617-67-3.
- HMS Whimbrel in Liverpool, 2003
- navynews article
- Battle of the Atlantic Memorial Project