The criteria for nomination requires that individuals or organisations who, in the spirit of Hans Hass’ pioneering work in the fields of underwater science, technology, arts and literature, have excelled at an international level in any of those fields.
It is presented by the Historical Diving Society and since 2013 has been sponsored by the Swiss watch manufacturer Blancpain.
Source: Hans Hass Institute
- 2003: Ernie Brooks II (USA), photographer
- 2004: James Cameron (USA), diver and filmmaker
- 2005: Daniel Mercier, (France), underwater Film and Photography
- 2006: Stan Waterman, (USA),underwater Film and Photography
- 2007: Bev Morgan, (USA), dive equipment manufacturer
- 2010: Sylvia Earle, (USA), marine scientist
- 2013: Laurent Ballesta, (France), technical diver and film maker
- 2014: Weicheng Cui, (China), designer of deep ocean submersible Jiaolong and deep ocean technology
- 2016: Howard and Michele Hall, (USA),underwater film and photography
- 2018: Franz Bruemmer, (Germany), marine scientist and President of Verband Deutscher Sporttaucher (VDST)