The first mention of educational provision in the area was in the 17th century. The first evidence of a specific school was in 1711 when Hawick Grammar School was established by Reverend Alexander Orrock although the building was not actually completed until 1732. The school combined with a nearby elementary school in 1824 and a new school was completed two years later. This school proved too small and another school was built in 1860 on the same site that the school occupies today.
In 1908 the school was renovated and its name changed to Buccleuch School. The name changed again in 1915 to Hawick Higher Grade School. The school was destroyed by a fire in December 1925 and students were instead taught in the church while it was rebuilt. It was completed in 1928. There were further renovations in the 1970s when an extension was built, in the 1990s when the school was modernised and in 2003 when the canteen was renovated. In 2016 the headteacher was suspended. The headteacher of Berwickshire High School filled in the position until Vicky Porteous was appointed in July 2017.
In September 2021, it was announced that a new circa £49 million will be built to replace the current school on its existing site by 2027.