Hephaestus, Egypt

Summary

Hephæstus was a town in Roman Egypt, in the province of Augustamnica Prima, the eastern part of the Nile Delta.

The name Hephæstus is known only from ecclesiastical sources; its Egyptian name and its site are unknown.

Ecclesiastical historyEdit

The original diocese was in Augustamnica Prima, a suffragan of Pelusium.[1]

It is mentioned by Hierocles[2] and by George of Cyprus, as among the thirteen towns of Augustamnica Prima.

Le Quien[3] mentions only two bishops: John, who took part in two Councils of Ephesus (First, 431 and Second, 449), and Peter, present at the Council of Constantinople in 459.[dubious ]

It remains a Roman Catholic titular see.

NotesEdit

  1. ^ Parthey's Notitia Prima and the Coptic allusion to it published by J. de Rougé, in his "Géographie ancienne de la Basse Egypte" (Paris, 1891, 157).
  2. ^ Synecdemus, 727, 9.
  3. ^ Le Quien, Michel (1740). Oriens Christianus, in quatuor Patriarchatus digestus: quo exhibentur ecclesiæ, patriarchæ, cæterique præsules totius Orientis. Tomus secundus, in quo Illyricum Orientale ad Patriarchatum Constantinopolitanum pertinens, Patriarchatus Alexandrinus & Antiochenus, magnæque Chaldæorum & Jacobitarum Diœceses exponuntur (in Latin). Paris: Ex Typographia Regia. col. 547. OCLC 955922747.

SourcesEdit

  •   This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domainHerbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "Hephæstus". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. The entry cites:
    • Heinrich Gelzer, Georgii Cyprii descriptio orbis romani (Leipzig, 1890), 112;
  • Smith, Dict. Greek and Roman Geogr., s. v.