|Focus||Nuclear and plasma science and engineering, nuclear medical imaging|
|Headquarters||Piscataway, NJ, United States|
|Origins||Formation of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers (AIEE) Subcommittee on Nuclear Science|
|Method||Publications, Conferences, Training|
|Ron Schrimpf (Current President)|
|Publication||IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science|
The IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society (NPSS) is a transnational group of about 3000 professional engineers and scientists. The IEEE-affiliated Society sponsors five major annual, and 12 biennial conferences and symposia. It also sponsors or co-sponsor four peer-reviewed academic journals.
The IEEE is the world's largest technical professional organization with more than 420,000 members in around 160 countries.
History of the NPSS
In 1947, the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE) formed the Nuclear Studies Committee to assess the role of the IRE in the field. Two years later, the Professional Group on Nuclear Science was formed. In 1954 the first issue of the Transactions on Nuclear Science appeared, increasing to four issues per year in 1956.
In 1963 the American Institute of Electrical Engineers (AIEE) merged with the IRE to form the IEEE, and the AIEE Nucleonics Committee and the Committee on Nucleaonic and Radiation Instruments merged with the IRE Professional Group on Nuclear Science on October 29, 1963, to become the Nuclear Science Group of the IEEE.
Transactions on Nuclear Science
The first issue of the Transactions on Nuclear Science first appeared in 1954, the number of issues rising to four per year in 1956 and bimonthly in 2017. In 2005, the journal was ranked No.3 for impact factor in Nuclear Science & Engineering by Thomson. The journal focuses on instrumentation for the detector and measurement of ionizing radiation, particle accelerators and their controls, nuclear medicine and its application, effects of radiation on materials, components, and systems, nuclear reactor instrumentation and controls as well as measurement of radiation in space.
Transactions on Plasma Science
The first issue of the Transactions on Plasma Science appeared in 1973. The 'Tennessee Orange,' cover color was picked by Igor Alexeff, Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Published bimonthly, its scope includes all aspects of the theory and application of plasma science, and regularly features "Special issues" (e.g. eight in 2004). Between 2000-2004, the journal was ranked No.10 for impact factor in "Physics - Fluids & Plasmas" by Thomson.
Transactions on Medical Imaging
The journal encourages papers on the imaging of body structures, usually in situ, rather than microscopic biological entities. In the Journal Citation Reports (JCR) from Thomson, which ranks journals by their impact factor, in 2005, the journal was ranked:
- No.1 in Imaging Science & Photographic Technology
- No.2 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- No.3 in Computer Science, Interdisciplinary Applications
- No.3 in Biomedical Engineering
- No.6 in Radiology, Nuclear Medicine & Medical Imaging
Transactions on Radiation and Plasma Medical Sciences
The journal is co-sponsored by NPSS and the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS) and focuses on technology and application areas related to radiation- and plasma-based medical sciences. The first issue was published in January 2017.
The IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society organizes a number of conferences. A calendar of upcoming conferences can be found on the IEEE NPSS conference website. Following is a list of several IEEE NPSS conferences.
- International Conference on Plasma Sciences
- Nuclear and Space Radiation Effects Conference
- Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference
- International Particle Accelerator Conference
- Pulsed Power and Plasma Science Conference
- Real Time Conference
- International Conference on Inorganic Scintillators and Their Applications
- Symposium on Fusion Engineering
Fields of Interest
Areas of technical activity include:
- IEEE NPSS Web Site
- IEEE Global History Network (2011). "IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society History". IEEE History Center. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- TNS Website
- TPS Website
- Journals Ranked by Impact, "What's New in Research: May 8, 2006 Archived June 12, 2009, at the Wayback Machine"
- TMI Website
- TRPMS Submission Website
- IEEE NPSS conference website
- 2017 ICOPS Conference Web Site
- NSREC Web Site
- NSS/MIC Web Site
- 2017 IPAC Conference Web Site
- 2017 PPC Conference Web Site
- 2016 RT Conference Web Site
- 2017 SCINT Conference Web Site
- 2017 SOFE Conference Web Site
- NPSS Fields of interest
- "NPSS". Archived from the original on 2018-03-09. Retrieved 2017-04-04.