The Indian Institute of Plantation Management (IIPM) Bengaluru is an autonomous institution set up by the Ministry of Commerce, Government of India in 1993 to provide professional management education in the field of plantations and associated agribusiness sector. The institute is jointly promoted by Coffee Board, Tea Board, Tobacco Board, Rubber Board & Spices Board and the industry Plantation Associations viz. Indian Tea Association &UPASI. IIPM is registered under Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960.
The objective of the Institute is to provide education, research, training, development and consultancy services to the industry and other agencies engaged in economic and social development of the plantation & associated agribusiness sector. The Institute conducts professional courses for young aspirants to enable them to find entry level managerial positions in agri-plantations, food, export and other associated sector. The Institute also acts as a resource centre for the government and the industry and conducts research on policy, strategic and operational issues relating to the sector.
The Institute has several Knowledge Resource Centres set-up in partnership with the Government, Commodity Boards and the industry to cater to specific areas of knowledge, viz.
- Centre for Tea Tasting & Marketing (TTM)
- Centre for Innovation & Entrepreneurship (CIE)
- N-CEMRS-Spices Exporters Entrepreneurship Facility (SEEF)
- Livelihood Business Incubators (LBIs)
- Centre for Advanced Management Education & Research (CAMER)
- Centre for Advanced Management Research in Plantations (CARPS)
- Centre for Cluster Approach and Business Management
- Secretariat of Plantation Co-ordination Committee (PCC)-MC&I-GoI
- Centre for Multi-Lingual Digital Language & Communication
- C-DAC Centre for Electronic Tongue, Nose & Vision
- Tea Planters Productivity Council (TPC)
- Grassroots Workforce Governance & Management (GWGM)
- Centre for Academic Social Responsibility (ASR)
The Institute has educational membership with international accreditation agencies viz. the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB-USA) & the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD-Brussels) and Permanent Accreditation from Higher Learning Accreditation Commission of Texas (HLACT-USA). The institute has accreditation from National Board of Accreditation (NBA)-New Delhi and MBA Equivalence from Association of Indian Universities (AIU)-New Delhi for its flagship PGDM-ABPM program.
Major Activities of the Institute are as indicated below:
- Academic Programs: IIPM is offering following long-duration Post Graduate Diploma Programs with AICTE-MoE-GoI approval:
- Institute’s flagship 24 months program titled Post Graduate Diploma in Management: Agri-Business & Plantation Management (PGDM-ABPM) – NBA Accredited, AIU Equivalent and Twinning Program with Royal Agricultural University, Cirencester;
- 24 months Post Graduate Diploma in Management: Food Processing and Business Management (PDM-FPBM)- Joint Academic Collaboration with University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI-USA;
- 24 months Post Graduate Diploma in Management: Agricultural Export and Business Management (PDM-AEBM)
- Fellow (Ph.D.) Programme in Management (FPM)
- Short Term Executive Programs (STEPs) / Reach-out Programs / Professional Certificate Programs and Special International Programs: IIPM has conducted 840+ exclusive short duration capacity building programs (MDPs), professional certificate programs (PCPs) and special international programs (SIPs) for the benefit of 24,400+ stakeholders of the sector.
- Research & Consultancy service: Institute has undertaken 110+ research & consultancy projects in frontier areas of concern at the industry, national and global levels, sponsored by theMinistry of Commerce & Industry, GoI& Commodity Boards of India, corporateorganizations, national and international funding agencies.
Overall, IIPM has conducted 1400+ management development and education programs and trained 47,000+ corporate managers, planters, small & medium entrepreneurs, Commodity Boards officials, R&D scientists and students across the country and other developing nations.
The campus is located at Jnana Bharathi, Malathalli Post, 80 Feet Ring Road in Bengaluru. Reputed institutions like Institute for Social & Economic Change (ISEC), National Law School of India University (NLSIU) and Bangalore University are situated closer to the Institute.
National and International Linkages
The Institute has established national and international linkages for student-exchange, twinning program, training and research programs with:
- CALS-University of Wisconsin-Madison, WI-USA
- Committee on Sustainability Assessment (COSA)
- Garwood Center for Corporate Innovation, HAAS School of Business, UC Berkeley, USA
- German Agricultural Training Center (DEULA), Neinburg, Germany
- Harper Adams University, UK
- International Business School-Americas, Brazil
- Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, UK
- Royal Agricultural University, Cirencester, UK
- Rwanda Institute of Co-operatives, Entrepreneurship and Micro-Finance (RICM)
- UniversitiTeknologi MARA (UiTM), Malaysia
- University of Nottingham, UK
- Karnataka Science & Technology Academy Bengaluru
- Mahatma Gandhi National Council of Rural Education, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Agricultural Extension Management (MANAGE), Hyderabad
- National Institute of Agricultural Marketing (NIAM), Jaipur
- University of Horticulture Sciences, Bagalkot
Visualizing and building the vision on the IIPM-Bengaluru tradition of excellence in academics, reach-out model and location specific research, two Centers at Jorhat (Assam) and Vijayawada (Andhra Pradesh) have been established for the benefit of the stakeholders of the region.
IIPM Awards and Accolades
Institute has been given following awards for its meritorious service in the field of academic, research, training & capacity building programs:
- 2012 World Education Congress Award
- 2012 Asian Learning & Development Leadership Award
- 2014 National Educational Leadership Award 2014
- 2014 Global Excellence and Rashtriya Jewel Awards
- 2015 DNA-Stars Group Innovative BSchool Award
- 2015 Indo-Global Educational Excellence Award
- 2016 ASSOCHAMNational Education Excellence Award
- 2017 The Best Institution in Agri-business Management Award
- 2017 Indian Agribusiness Excellence Award
- 2018 India’s Education Excellence Award
- 2018 National Conference & Game Changer Award
- 2019 India’s Most Trusted Education Award
- 2020 Best Educational Institute Award
- 2020 Best Institute in Agribusiness Education and Management
The Institute is today a centre of excellence which acts as a think tank and an intellectual resource base forthe plantation and associated agribusiness sector. It is an exclusive sectoral school of management with a motto -Intensive Institute-Industry Interaction (4Is).