Jochem Kahl (born 1961) is a German Egyptologist.
A native of Ravensburg, Kahl studied undergraduate history and Greek at the University of Tübingen from 1983 to 1984 and then Egyptology, Classical Archeology and Pre- and Early History at Münster, Tübingen and Vienna between 1984 and 1990. Kahl undertook his doctorate with the study "The System of Egyptian Hieroglyphic Writing in the 0th - 3rd Dynasty" between 1992 to 1998.
From 1998 to 2004 he was a university lecturer at the Institute for Egyptology and Coptology at the University of Münster. In 2004 he was given a professorship at the University of Münster and in 2006 a professorship at University of Mainz. He is currently at Free University of Berlin.
He leads the excavations at Assiut and the surrounding area in Central Egypt and has been a professor at the Free University of Berlin since October 2008. Kahl is a member of the German Archaeological Institute.
- The system of Egyptian hieroglyphic writing in the 0th to 3rd centuries Dynasty , Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden, 1994.
- with Nicole Kloth, Ursula Zimmermann: The Inscriptions of the 3rd Dynasty. An inventory , Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden, 1995 ISBN 3-447-03733-4 (= Egyptological Treatises , Volume 56).
- Steh auf, gib Horus deine Hand. The narrative of Altenmüller's pyramid text saying , Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden, 1996
- Siut - Thebes. To appreciate tradition in ancient Egypt , Leiden, Brill 1999
- with Eva-Maria Engel: buried, burned, misunderstood and forgotten - finds from the "Menesgrab" , Münster 2001
- Searching for the Rise of the Sun God at the Dawn of Egyptian History . (= Menes , Volume 1) Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden, 2007
- Ancient Asyut. The First Synthesis after 300 Years of Research. (= The Asyut Project , Volume 1) Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden, 2007
- Die Zeit selbst lag nun tot darnieder. The city of Assiut and its necropolises according to western travel reports from the 17th to 19th centuries: construction, destruction and reconstruction. (= The Asyut Project , Volume 5) Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden 2013, ISBN 978-3-447-06867-3 .
- The Tomb of the Dogs at Asyut: Faunal Remains and Other Selected Objects. With contributions by Jochem Kahl and Günter Vittmann The Tomb of the Dogs at Asyut: Faunal Remains and Other Selected Objects. With contributions by Jochem Kahl and Günter Vittmann (The Asyut Project, Band 9).</ref>
- The Asyut Project: Eleventh Season of Fieldwork (2014) [Painted pottery from the so-called “Hogarth Depot“ in Tomb IV of the Asyut necropolisThe Asyut Project: Eleventh Season of Fieldwork (2014) [Painted pottery from the so-called “Hogarth Depot“ in Tomb IV of the Asyut necropolis.</ref>
- Ein wiederentdeckter Hundefriedhof in Assiut, 2010.
- The Asyut Project: six seasons of fieldwork 2009
- The Asyut Project: Fourth Season of Fieldwork (2006)
- The First Intermediate Period Tombs at Asyut Revisited
- Kürschner's German Scholarly Calendar 2001 . Saur, 2001, ISBN 9783598236037 , p. 1464.
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Jochem Kahl bio. page
- The Asyut Project website.
- Jochem Kahl, Das System der ägyptischen Hieroglyphenschrift in der 0.-3. Dynastie (Harrassowitz Verlag, 1994).
- Jochem Kahl, [ https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/977701.Jochem_Kahl Books by Jochem Kahl].
- , Siut - Theben (BRILL, 1999).
- [ https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/977701.Jochem_Kahl Books by Jochem Kahl].
- The First Intermediate Period Tombs at Asyut Revisited.,
|This biographical article about an Egyptologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a German scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|