|Length:||58.3 metres (191 ft)|
|Beam:||9.5 metres (31 ft)|
|Height:||36.5 metres (120 ft)|
|Draught:||4.05 metres (13.3 ft)|
|Propulsion:||1 x 986 hp (735 kW) diesel engine, with a 4 blade propeller|
|Sail plan:||16 sails, 1,091 square metres (11,740 sq ft)|
|Complement:||81 crew and 75 cadets|
KRI Dewaruci (sometimes spelled Dewa Ruci or Dewarutji) is a Class A tall ship and the only barquentine owned and operated by the Indonesian Navy. She is used as a sail training vessel for naval cadets and is the largest tall ship in the Indonesian fleet. Dewaruci also serves as a goodwill ambassador for Indonesia to the rest of the world.
Built in Germany by H. C. Stülcken Sohn at Steinwerder, Hamburg. Construction of Dewaruci began in 1932, but was suspended due to the outbreak of World War II, which caused heavy damage to the shipyard where she was being constructed. She was launched on 24 January 1953 and completed on 9 July that year. Since then, she has been based at Surabaya on the Java Sea. Her name and figurehead represent and display the mythological Javanese wayang god of truth and courage. The vessel was also used in the making of Anna and the King movie, starring Jodie Foster.
Dewaruci also participates in tall ship races and events around the world. As a unique feature, the ship has her own marching band. In 2010 Dewaruci's marching band delighted and entertained the crowds in Hartlepool at the Tall Ships Crew Parade. Their energy, enthusiasm, and skill won them the prize for the best crew in the crew parade.
Due to her age, Dewaruci is to be decommissioned and displayed at a naval museum. The Indonesian Parliament has agreed to buy a new tall ship and has appropriated $80 million (Rp720 billion) for the purpose. The new ship will also be named Dewaruci. The new vessel is to be completed in 2014.
- Flying jib
- Outer jib
- Middle jib
- Inner jib
- Upper topsail
- Lower topsail
Mainmast, named "Arjuna"—35.9 metres (118 ft)
- Main topgallant
- Main topmast staysail
- Main staysail
- Main topsail
Mizzenmast, named "Yudhistira"—32.5 metres (107 ft)
- Mizzen topsail
- "Dewarutji". Miramar Ship Index. R A Haworth, Wellington NZ (subscription required). Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- KRI Dewaruci dalam Perjalanan Pulang dari Ekspedisi Keliling Dunia - Features JPNN.com
- "Saran DPR, Kapal Baru Tetap Bernama Dewaruci". January 15, 2012.
- Empat Negara Ajukan Kapal Latih Pengganti KRI Dewaruci
- Spanyol dan Polandia Memasuki Babak Akhir Tender Pengganti KRI Dewaruci
- Pengganti KRI Dewa Ruci Diperebutkan Pabrikan Spanyol dan Polandia
- "Freire Shipyard Build a Sailing Tall Ship for Indonesia". June 25, 2013.
- "Freire set for April the start of construction of the ship of the Indonesian Navy". February 8, 2014.
- American Sail Training Association. Sail Tall Ships! A Directory of Sail Training and Adventure at Sea, 15th Edition. Canada: Dollco Printing, 2003.
- Koza, Thaddeus. The Tall Ships. East Hartford, Conn.: Tide-Mark Press, 1996.