Kaiwo Maru (海王丸) is a Japanese former training barque. She was built by Kawasaki Shipbuilding Corporation in Kobe, and was launched on 27 January 1930 alongside her sister ship Nippon Maru. She was operated by the Tokyo Institute for Maritime Training to train officers for Japan's merchant marine. At the beginning of World War II, her sailing rig was removed and she served as a training and postwar transport motorship. In 1955, her rig was reinstalled and she resumed her training voyages until she was replaced in 1989 by her successor, also named Kaiwo Maru. She is now a museum ship located in Imizu, Toyama.
Kaiwo Maru measures 97 metres (318 ft) long, with a beam of 12.95 metres (42.5 ft) and a draft of 6.90 metres (22.6 ft). Her gross tonnage is 2,286. She is rigged as a four-masted barque, with 32 sails covering 2,397 square metres (25,800 sq ft), and two 600-horsepower diesel engines for auxiliary functions. During her career as a training ship, she was manned by a crew of 27 officers, 48 seamen, and 120 trainees.
- Schäuffelen, Otmar (2005). Chapman Great Sailing Ships of the World. Hearst Books. ISBN 978-1588163844.
- "Outline of Kaiwo Maru". National Institute for Sea Training. Archived from the original on 28 January 2010. Retrieved 15 April 2017.
- "Sailing Ship The Kaiwomaru". Kaiwomaru Park. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
|This article about a specific civilian ship or boat is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|