Killeen Air Force Station

Summary

Killeen Air Force Station
Air Defense Command.png
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Killeen AFS is located in Texas
Killeen AFS
Killeen AFS
Location of Killeen AFS, Texas
Coordinates31°03′04″N 097°51′45″W / 31.05111°N 97.86250°W / 31.05111; -97.86250 (Killeen AFS TM-192)Coordinates: 31°03′04″N 097°51′45″W / 31.05111°N 97.86250°W / 31.05111; -97.86250 (Killeen AFS TM-192)
TypeAir Force Station
Site information
Controlled by United States Air Force
Site history
Built1957
In use1957-1961
Garrison information
Garrison814th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Map all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap 
Download coordinates as: KML

Killeen Air Force Station (ADC ID: TM-192) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 9.2 miles (14.8 km) west-southwest of Killeen, Texas. It was closed in 1961.

History

Killeen Air Force Station came into existence as part of Phase III of the Air Defense Command (ADC) Mobile Radar program. On October 20, 1953, ADC requested a third phase of twenty-five radar sites be constructed. It was constructed on the existing Robert Gray AFB to provide radar protection for the Fort Hood area.

The 814th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was moved to Killeen AFS on 14 February 1957. It operated AN/FPS-20 search radar and an AN/FPS-6 height-finder radars at the station, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

In addition to the main facility, Killeen operated two AN/FPS-18 Gap Filler sites between April and December 1960:

Killeen was inactivated 1 February 1961 due to budgetary cuts. Today most of the site is unused, but maintained by Fort Hood with most of the buildings being torn down. A radio tower is now on the site. The circular concrete foundation for the AN/FPS-20A search radar tower is clearly visible in aerial imagery.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 814th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated on 8 May 1956 at Oklahoma City AFS, OK (not manned or equipped)
Moved to Killeen AFS on 14 February 1957
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 February 1961

Assignments

See also

References

Public Domain This article incorporates public domain material from the Air Force Historical Research Agency website http://www.afhra.af.mil/.

  • Cornett, Lloyd H. and Johnson, Mildred W., A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson AFB, CO (1980).
  • Winkler, David F. & Webster, Julie L., Searching the Skies, The Legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program, US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories, Champaign, IL (1997).
  • Information for Killeen AFS, TX