Kopys (Belarusian and Russian: Копысь, Belarusian and Russian pronunciation: [ˈkopɨsʲ], Polish: Kopyś, Yiddish: קאָפּוסט Kopust) is an urban-type settlement in the Orsha Raion, Vitebsk Region, Belarus.
|Area code(s)||+375 216|
First references are dated by 1059. From the 14th century, it was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and subsequently the Polish–Lithuanian Union after the Union of Krewo (1385). Administratively, it was part of the Vitebsk Voivodeship. It was granted town rights in the 16th century. It was a private town owned by the Ostrogski family and, after 1594, the Radziwiłł family. A castle stood in the town of Kopys and a Calvinist church was founded by Krzysztof Mikołaj Radziwiłł. During the Great Northern War, in 1707, Kopys was destroyed by Russian troops. In 1772, it became a part of the Russian Empire in the course of the First Partition of Poland.