H-II Transfer Vehicle (HTV-1) approaching the ISS
|Mission type||ISS resupply|
|Payload mass||6,200 kg (13,700 lb)|
|Dimensions||9.8 m (32 ft) long|
4.4 m (14 ft) diameter
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||20 May 2020, 17:30 UTC |
|Launch site||Tanegashima, LA-Y|
|Berthing at ISS|
|Berthing port||Harmony or Unity|
Kounotori 9 (こうのとり9号機), also known as HTV-9 will be the 9th flight of the H-II Transfer Vehicle, a robotic cargo spacecraft to resupply the International Space Station. As of April 2020[update], it is scheduled to be launched on 20 May 2020, at 17:30 UTC.
- Camera assembly unit and Wireless LAN communication unit to demonstrate communication in the proximity of ISS for the real-time video monitoring of approach. It is a technology demonstration for use with HTV-X and Gateway.
Cargo in the pressurized compartment (Pressurized Logistics Carrier, PLC) is, in addition to the foods and crew commodities:
- JAXA cargo:
- Solid Combustion Experiment Module (SCEM)
- Integrated Standard Imager for Microsatellites (iSIM), a commercial technology demonstration payload by Spanish company Satlantis
- Equipment for the space media business collaboration (Space Frontier Studio KIBO)
- NASA cargo:
- EXPRESS Rack 11B (ER11B)
- Tank for Water Storage System (WSS)
- High-pressure nitrogen tank for Nitrogen Oxygen Recharge System (NORS)
- ESA cargo:
- European Drawer Rack Mark II (EDR2)
Cargo in the unpressurized compartment (Unpressurized Logistics Carrier, ULC) are the six lithium-ion batteries Orbital Replacement Units (ORUs) for replacing the ISS's existing nickel-hydrogen batteries. This is the last of the series of transportation of replacement batteries, following the previous Kounotori 6, Kounotori 7, and Kounotori 8.
- 宇宙ステーション補給機「こうのとり」9号機（HTV9）の打上げについて (in Japanese). JAXA. 24 March 2020. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- Krebs, Gunter Dirk (2016-07-11). "HTV 1, ..., 9 (Kounotori 1, ..., 9)". Gunter's Space Page. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "HTV-Kounotori sets sail for the ISS". NASASpaceFlight.com. August 18, 2015. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Krebs, Gunter Dirk (2016-07-11). "HTV-X 1, 2, 3". Gunter's Space Page. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- 宇宙ステーション補給機「こうのとり」9号機（HTV9）ミッションプレスキット] (PDF) (in Japanese). JAXA. 25 March 2020. Retrieved 28 March 2020.
- HTV9 mission (JAXA)
- The Space Frontier Studio - KIBO