Russian: Остров Ла-Ронсьер
|Archipelago||Franz Josef Archipelago|
|Area||478 km2 (185 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||431 m (1414 ft)|
On some maps La Ronciere Island appears as "Whitney Island", after American Arctic financier William Collins Whitney. This name was given by the American explorer Evelyn Briggs Baldwin, but the Austro-Hungarian explorers who discovered Franz Josef land had named this island first.
La Ronciere Island's area is 478 km2 (185 sq mi). Its latitude is 81° N and its longitude 61° E. The highest point of the island is 431 m (1,414 ft). It is almost completely glaciarized except for two small points by the shore in the northeast and in the west.
La Ronciere Island lies north of Wilczek Land, separated from it by an 8 km (5 mi) wide sound.
This same island was named Hayden Island (Остров Гайдана; Ostrov Gaydana), after pioneering American geologist Ferdinand Vandeveer Hayden, by the Ziegler-Fiala expedition.