Lightship 2000, June 2007
|Name:||Light Vessel 14|
|Builder:||Philip and Son, Dartmouth, Devon|
|Launched:||22 September 1953|
|Commissioned:||27 November 1953|
|General characteristics |
|Displacement:||550 long tons (559 t)|
|Length:||137 ft 3 in (41.83 m) o/a|
|Beam:||25 ft (7.6 m)|
|Draught:||15 ft (4.6 m)|
|Aviation facilities:||Helipad (from 1975)|
Lightship 2000 (Welsh: Goleulong 2000) was a restored old red Lightvessel with a cafe and chapel on board situated in Cardiff Bay. During the redevelopment of Cardiff Bay, the Cardiff Bay Development Corporation called together the churches in Cardiff to discuss the role of Christianity in the Bay. Lightship 2000 was the result of these discussions.
The ship was launched in 1953 and from that year until 1989 it was a working lightvessel in a number of locations around the UK, ending its working life off Rhossili on the Gower Peninsula to warn of the Helwick Swatch, a treacherous sandbank. It was purchased in 1993 and refurbished as a floating Christian centre.
The Rev'd Peter Noble, former Moderator of Synod of the United Reformed Church Wales, took over the post of chaplain in March 2012 and since the closure of the ship has continued to serve as chaplain to Cardiff Bay.
- "The Ship". Goleulong 2000 Lightship. Archived from the original on 20 April 2014.
- Klempau, Iris (2004). "Trinity House lightvessel No. 14". feuerschiffseite.de. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015.
- "Lightship 2000 page in the Cardiff Bay website". Archived from the original on 12 May 2011.
- "Article on the history of the Lightship on the official website".
- "CARDIFF BAY'S MUCH-LOVED HELWICK LIGHTSHIP IS SAVED FROM THE SCRAPYARD". Penarth Daily News. 18 May 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Office, Anglican Communion. "Page not found - Anglican Communion". Anglican Communion Website.
- "News of Monica's death from her final church". Archived from the original on 17 March 2012.
- "Goleulong 2000 Lightship". Archived from the original on 20 April 2014.
Surviving ships launched before 1969