Douglas Sleeper Transport, the initial variant with two 1,000–1,200 hp (750–890 kW) Wright R-1820 Cyclone engines and standard sleeper accommodation for up to 16 with small upper windows, convertible to carry up to 24 day passengers.
Designation for ex-military C-47, C-53, and R4D aircraft rebuilt by Douglas Aircraft in 1946 and sold on the civil market.
Designation for 28 additional new aircraft built by Douglas in 1946 for civil airline operation using components from uncompleted USAAF C-117s.
Super DC-3, improved DC-3 with a new wing and tail, and powered by two 1,450 hp (1,080 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-2000-D7 or 1,475 hp (1,100 kW) Wright R-1820-C9HE Cyclone engines. The five examples were converted by Douglas between 1949 and 1950 from existing DC-3 and R4D airframes.
Production of a 14-28 seat passenger airliner version in the USSR powered by two 900 hp (670 kW) Shvetsov M-62 / 1,000 hp (750 kW) Shvetsov ASh-62 engines. With a somewhat smaller span and higher empty weight, it was also equipped with lower-powered engines compared to the DC-3 and the cargo door was transposed to the right side of the fuselage.
Military designations for impressed civil aircraftEdit
A single DC-3A (40-070) modified as a VIP transport, powered by two 1,200 hp (895 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-1830-21 radial piston engines, used to fly the Secretary of War. (The Douglas C-41 was not a DC-3 derivative but a modification of a Douglas C-33).
Gunship aircraft with three side-firing .30 in (7.62 mm) Minigun machine guns.
C-47D with equipment for the Airborne Early Warning role; prior to 1962 was designated AC-47D.
C-47D modified for test roles.
C-47D equipped for photographic reconnaissance and ELINT missions.
C-47D equipped for Search Air Rescue; re-designated HC-47D in 1962.
C-47D equipped for VIP transport role.
Modified cargo variant with space for 27–28 passengers or 18–24 litters.
YC-129 re-designated, Super DC-3 prototype for evaluation by USAF later passed to USN as XR4D-8.
C-47H/Js equipped for the support of American Legation United States Naval Attache (ALUSNA) and Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) missions.
C-47A and D aircraft modified for ELINT/ARDF mission. N and P differ in radio bands covered, while Q replaces analog equipment found on the N and P with a digital suite, redesigned antenna equipment, and uprated engines.
One C-47M modified for high altitude work, specifically for missions in Ecuador.
Two C-47Bs converted to use the Rolls-Royce Dart turboprop (1,547 ehp) for development of operating procedures by airlines before introduction of BEA's Vickers Viscounts. Acquired from Field Aircraft Services Ltd in 1950 the installations were paid for by the Ministry of Supply. They were flown as G-ALXM Sir Henry Royce and G-AMDB Claude Johnson forming the "Dart Development Unit" on adhoc and scheduled freight flights.
A single C-47, G-AMDB (cn 14987/26432) was converted and reverted to piston power after trials and route-proving, serving BEA as a standard "Pionair" until it was sold in 1962.
A single C-47B-1-DK (c/n 25613 / s/n 43-48352 / KJ829), was also converted for use by Rolls-Royce in trials of the 1,540 hp (1,148.38 kW) Rolls-Royce Dart, the aircraft, given the test registration G-37-2 flew with Darts. Sold to Tyne Tees Airways in April 1963 the airframe was scrapped in 1965.
A turboprop conversion by the United States Aircraft Corporation, fitting Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-45R turboprop engines with an extended forward fuselage to maintain center of gravity. First flight of the prototype conversion, (N300TX), was on July 29, 1982.