The is a list of Patriarchs of the Assyrian Church of the East.
List of Patriarchs of the Assyrian Church of the East since 1820
Continuation of the Shimun Line
- 101 Shimun XVII Abraham (1820–1861) Residence continued in Qochanis
- 102 Shimun XVIII Rubil (1861–1903)
- 103 Shimun XIX Benjamin (1903–1918) due to the Seyfo, the Residence in Qochanis ended in 1915, with Patriarch residing starting from 1915 between Urmia and Salmas, Persia until his assassination in 1918 breaking up the multi-national nature of the Church of the East leaving many non-Assyrian Bishops isolated in different parts of the world to continue their independent Churches of the East autonomously
- 104 Shimun XX Paulos (1918–1920) Patriarch moved the patriarchate to Mosul, Iraq
- 105 Shimun XXI Eshai (1920–1975) – forced into exile in 1933 and thus the patriarchate was temporarily located in Cyprus before relocating to Chicago, Illinois in 1940, and finally relocating to San Francisco, California in. He ended hereditary patriarchy. He renamed Church as Assyrian Church of the East which along with other reforms led the Ancient Church of the East to secede. He resigned in 1973, although unofficially still remained patriarch. He was assassinated in San Jose, California, ending the 658 year Shimun Line.
Canonically elected line
- 106 Dinkha IV (17 October 1976 – 26 March 2015) – first canonically elected Patriarch since 1600. Relocated the patriarchate to Chicago, Illinois in 1980 after temporarily living in Tehran, Iran. Abolished hereditary succession upon his election
- Locum Tenens: Aprem Mooken (26 March 2015 – 18 September 2015)
- 107 Gewargis III – on 18 September 2015, designated Catholicos-Patriarch elect by the Holy Synod of the Assyrian Church of the East. Consecrated and enthroned on 27 September 2015, in the Cathedral Church of St. John the Baptist, Erbil, Iraq