According to the provisional reports released on 1 January 2018, there is a total of 8,124 municipalities in Spain, including the autonomous cities of Ceuta and Melilla. Burgos is the province with the most municipalities (371) and Las Palmas the one with the least (34).
*Single-province autonomous communities.
Ranked lists of Spanish municipalities
Largest municipalities by population
Spain has a population of 46,401,053 inhabitants, distributed to 8,124 municipalities (2018 INE provisional report).
There are two municipalities that exceed one million inhabitants: Madrid and Barcelona, 26 cities over 200,000 inhabitants, 34 municipalities between 100,000 and 200,000 inhabitants, and 83 municipalities between 50,000 and 100,000.
Largest municipalities by area
- Municipalities of Spain
- List of metropolitan areas in Spain by population
- List of submerged places in Spain
- INE (provisional report). 1 January 2012.
- Spanish autonomous communities and provinces by number of municipalities. classora.com
- Ranking of the largest Spanish municipalities by area. classora.com
Template:Topónimo en castellano según: Celdrán Gomáriz, Pancracio: Diccionario de topónimos españoles y sus gentilicios. Espasa Calpe, 2002. ISBN 84-670-0146-1