- Bauer, Karl Jack; Roberts, Stephen S. (1991). Register of ships of the U.S. Navy, 1775-1990. Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-313-26202-9.
- Canney, Donald L. (1998). Lincoln's Navy: The Ships, Men and Organization, 1861-65. US Naval Institute Press. ISBN 978-1-55750-519-4.
- Register of the Commissioned and Warrant Officers of the Navy of the United States, including Officers of the Marine Corps, and other, for the Year 1870.
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.
- Register of the Commissioned and Warrant Officers of the Navy of the United States, including Officers of the Marine Corps, and other, for the Year 1859.
- Park, Carl D. (2007). Ironclad Down: USS Merrimack-CSS Virginia from Design to Destruction. Naval Institute Press. ISBN 978-1-59114-659-9.
- "The Old Steam Navy". GlobalSecurity. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- Hamersly, Lewis Randolph (1894). The Records of Living Officers of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps. L. R. Hamersly & co.
- Colburn's United Service Magazine and Naval and Military Journal. London: Hurst and Blackett, Publishers. 1874 (1). Missing or empty
- Bennett, Frank Marion (1896). The steam navy of the United States. NWarren & Co.